Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

India, Nepal

• 11-10-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm planning to visit India and Nepal next summer for approximately three months. I've travelled pretty extensively through SE Asia in the past and was just wondering if anyone here who's visited both regions could tell me how things compare in terms of costs? How much did you spend a week in India and what activities did that cover?

Want to start saving for this as soon as I pay off my debt from this summer's trip! Basically just looking for a ballpark figure of what it might cost me in total.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

It's very cheap. I spent on average €20/day in India (as opposed to €30/day in Thailand) and €15/day in Nepal. For Nepal, I would bring some extra cash as there's a lot to do in terms of "adventure activities".

Bus/train travel is very very cheap in both countries (obv only bus in Nepal) which I think is the biggest cost difference compared to SE Asia.

Enjoy!

P.S. I would budget to fly between the two countries. Busing it would be hellish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Both countries are very very cheap, at least compared to Thailand/Malaysia. Nepal is a bargain, beds can be had for as little as €1 per night. Northern India will cost a little more but it is still an excellent deal and you will have some fabulous meals for just a couple of quid If you are out in the backcountry treking for a coulple of weeks youll barely spend anything at all.

Make sure to budget for the visas though, India is approx €30 for a single entry and Nepal is around $40 for a 30 day with a $17 airport departure tax also to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Cheers for the replies guys. Seems it's going to be cheaper again than the parts of Asia I've been to already. Still a long way off, but I'm excited for it already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Am actually heading there at the end of the month and apart from a vague sense of wanting to see India and Nepal, is there anywhere I simply have to see. Going for two months, flying into Mumbai and then getting the train down to Goa but after that the itinerary is pretty open.

I've heard the Corbett National Park is worth seeing and that Katmandu is incredible but what else? It's my first non-European/American trip so I expect a lot of culture shock.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement