Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about lease

Options
  • 11-10-2009 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Hi. Looking for some advice.

I have been given the opportunity to move into a nice place in a nice area for a six month lease. It suits me very well to do this, however, the property is currently for sale. Could somebody outline how I might be affected if the property was sold, say, in the next couple of months? Even with the six month lease, is it the case that I could simply be given 28 days notice by the new owner?

Thanks for any and all replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you have a six month lease, you can stay for six months. Just check the small print for break clauses, etc.

Also find out what the arrangements are if the landlord wants to show the property to prospective buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Victor wrote: »
    If you have a six month lease, you can stay for six months. Just check the small print for break clauses, etc.

Also find out what the arrangements are if the landlord wants to show the property to prospective buyers.
    Thanks for your reply. Are you sure about that? I only ask because on page 4 of the PRTB's tenant handbook (http://www.prtb.ie/Landlord_Tenant/English%20Tenant.pdf) it seems to say that for a tenancy of less than six months only 28 days notice needs to be given; it was reading this which actually prompted me to post my original question. I'm in no way legally trained, by the way, so apologies if I'm misinterpreting something very straightforward!

Re. your second point, yes, discussions have already taken place about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dingbat wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Are you sure about that? I only ask because on page 4 of the PRTB's tenant handbook (http://www.prtb.ie/Landlord_Tenant/English%20Tenant.pdf) it seems to say that for a tenancy of less than six months only 28 days notice needs to be given; it was reading this which actually prompted me to post my original question.
    That would only be where you have a month-by-month arrangement.

Note also, if it is a six month lease, you have to pay the full six months, even if you leave early (you can re-assign).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'm pretty sure most leases have a section saying how a landlord can legally break the lease, in that it might say that if the landlord is looking to put family members in or to sell the house that they can break the lease giving tenants a notice period. Mine says that anyway.

With the property being already up for sale I'd be sure there would be a break clause in the lease. I wouldn't let that detract you from taking the 6 months lease though, they most likely wont sell the place by then.

Advertisement