Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for tagine

Options
  • 11-10-2009 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Has anyone bought a tagine recently {moroccon cooking pot with tall conical cover}. I am looking for 1 to serve 6 to 8 people or 2 to serve 3 to 4 people each.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Lots of options - personal preference is stainless steel base with ceramic hood - All Clad do a (pricey) fantastic one. Next would be the flame-retardant ceramic ones, Emile Henry do a good one. I think the Le Creuset is too heavy. The Scan Pan non-stick base with ceramic hood is a good option, but I find the base loses heat too quickly.

A lot of tagine cooking involves an initial heat burst, followed by long, low, slow cooking. I find the stainless steel and ceramic conduct the heat well, so you can turn down the gas to the lowest setting and they'll cook away happily, but the cast iron stays too hot, and the non-stick bases are inconsistent in how they heat, so the food sort of simmer/boils instead of gently baking/steaming.

Hope that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If you're looking to do it on the cheap, they sell them up in tk-maxx in carrickmines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I also saw them for sale in Ikea. Can't remember what price they were tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Ikea tagine is about €25 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If you're in Dublin the Moorish café in the Millenium Arcade (behind Jervis St) sells tagines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭SeanElec1

Thanks for the advice. We have borrowed 1 from a friend who's husband is Morroccan. If it works well I will buy one from 1 of the vendors as suggested by the members. Thanks.

Advertisement