Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary school teaching

• 11-10-2009 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Apologies if these questions have already been asked.
    I'm looking into secondary school teaching and i'm just a bit confused as to how you qualify. I understand that you need a degree in the relevent subject to teach that subject, but does this degree have to be recognised by the Teaching Council or is that just an advantage? Also, do you need to be qualified to degree level to teach subjects for Junior Certificate?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

If you really want to make a career of it then you should do a full degree, that is recognised by the TC in all the subjects you want to teach, even for the lil old Junior Cert. There's officially no such thing as being qualified to teach something to JC if you're not qualified to teach it to LC.

That said, I heard of someone last night who is now teaching a subject to Leaving Cert that she herself has not studied since Leaving Cert. So it's all down to the principal, but really, just get qualified properly to save yourself being unemployed at 40 when the rules are finally enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

Thanks for that! :)
    dory wrote: »
    If you really want to make a career of it then you should do a full degree, that is recognised by the TC in all the subjects you want to teach, even for the lil old Junior Cert. There's officially no such thing as being qualified to teach something to JC if you're not qualified to teach it to LC.

That said, I heard of someone last night who is now teaching a subject to Leaving Cert that she herself has not studied since Leaving Cert. So it's all down to the principal, but really, just get qualified properly to save yourself being unemployed at 40 when the rules are finally enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭smallgarden

to be qualified to teach a subject the degree has to be recognised by the teaching council for that subject.you can work in a school and not be qualified buy you'll be paid non qualified rate and i dont think you can be offered permanent job but im not sure.alot of the teaching council stuff isnt fully enforced at the momemt

Can anyone fill me in as to the rules and regulations for sub teaching? Do you need your H.Dip? Do you need a degree in the relevent subjects?

i dont think there are any regulations.if unqualified ul get paid unqualified rate.id imagine a principal wont hire you if you have neither hdip or relevant degree.they can hire whoever they like for sub work.in theory i think there supposed to look for qualified person first

• Advertisement

Thanks smallgarden :D
    i dont think there are any regulations.if unqualified ul get paid unqualified rate.id imagine a principal wont hire you if you have neither hdip or relevant degree.they can hire whoever they like for sub work.in theory i think there supposed to look for qualified person first

no bother,i dont think theres much subbing going though at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Coolio

Same as Dory said, if you're looking to head into teaching long-term, get yourself a degree in whatever subjects you want to teach, do the h.dip, have it all recognised by the Teaching Council and off you go.

While there are cases of people teaching without qualifications at present, the opportunities for this to occur will continue to reduce, especially now with less jobs available and more and more fully-qualified graduates looking for employment. The ability of a principal to have his neighbour teaching a few hours for pocket-money will no longer be there.

You may be able to get some work short-term but if you're serious about teaching as a career, get qualified.

Good luck

Advertisement