Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting out on a self build

• 11-10-2009 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a post in the costs section too. I'm just looking at beginning the journey to a self build in Kildare and I've a couple of questions. I've read most of the posts, its just difficult to discern what applies to me!

I know that you really need your site before you can really do up architectural plans etc. Could anyone advise on buying a site? Like can you find a site you like and negotiate a price with the owner subject to planning permission?

Anyone have any information on requirements for planning permission in Kildare? On reading the county development plans it looks like because we've only lived in Maynooth for 5 years we won't be allowed build at all? There are two sections, schedule 6.1 and 6.2 and I'm not sure what the differences are!

Comments

I don't know about the Mynooth area, but in the west sites are ten a penny (figuratively speaking) you should be able to negotiate a fair price subject to planning.

Look at one of the many web property sites (daft has 187 sites for example)

Be very sure of your finances before starting anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Been trawling Daft for a while now. Site prices still seem very high, from 50000-150000 for half an acre in Kildare. Will these fall futher does anyone think? Some of the prices up there seem fairly outrageous given the current property market!

Don't worry Dolanbaker, not a chance of committing to anything yet! This is more of an exercise in getting a good estimate of what I need to save for. I'm one of those who need a clearly defined goal to save towards or I just fail miserably :)

Been trawling Daft for a while now. Site prices still seem very high, from 50000-150000 for half an acre in Kildare. Will these fall futher does anyone think? Some of the prices up there seem fairly outrageous given the current property market!

Don't worry Dolanbaker, not a chance of committing to anything yet! This is more of an exercise in getting a good estimate of what I need to save for. I'm one of those who need a clearly defined goal to save towards or I just fail miserably :)

Have a look at thepropertypin.com to get the bears eye view of the property market. Also consider whether it's cheaper to just buy a house in the area you want to live, many have been on the market so long the signs are worn out!

Prices in some places have dropped below the build + site cost.

Thanks, I'll have a trawl through that tomorrow. We both feel that given it will take time to save for a mortgage etc self build is ultimately what we want unless we see something we both really like in the meantime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I was told by a guy who deals with Kildare CoCo that Kildare have issued enough planning permission over the last 5 years that if they were all build it would cover demand in the area till 2020. They don't expect all to be built as some were housing estates that will never go any further now but he reckons Kildare CoCo are going to be extremely hard to get FPP off in the next few years whilst they wait and try and ensure there isn't an oversurplus of houses. As it is there are full housing estates built with only 10-12 houses sold and this reflects bad on them. It might be just gossiping but he seemed fairly conviced that planning in the Kildare area will be extremly selective 'til well in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Quazzie wrote: »
    I was told by a guy who deals with Kildare CoCo that Kildare have issued enough planning permission over the last 5 years that if they were all build it would cover demand in the area till 2020. They don't expect all to be built as some were housing estates that will never go any further now but he reckons Kildare CoCo are going to be extremely hard to get FPP off in the next few years whilst they wait and try and ensure there isn't an oversurplus of houses. As it is there are full housing estates built with only 10-12 houses sold and this reflects bad on them. It might be just gossiping but he seemed fairly conviced that planning in the Kildare area will be extremly selective 'til well in 2012.

i cannot see planners using the economic market as reason for refusal. Thats direct interventionism in the market.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i cannot see planners using the economic market as reason for refusal. Thats direct interventionism in the market.

It's more likely that they'll use the "Environmental Impact" option instead.
    In most other countries, the economy (current & future planned) does play a large part in deciding whether an area should be developed or not.

Lots of interesting replies. Might actually just send an email into them and ask them about possibilities. We aren't looking at actually starting a build for at least 2/3 years anyways, we just want to get everything clear in our heads now. I mean if we simply aren't going to get planning permission then this is all pie in the sky :)

Advertisement