Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone rip some blurays for me ?

Options
  • 11-10-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this should be in this forum or an entertainment one. I have a small collection (about 70) of blurays that I love (about 50% animation, the rest blockbuster type).

However my four year old got hold of my Die Hard 3 (only on import) and my Monsters inc (unwatched) & has somehow rendered them completely unreadable in my player. GRRRRRRR !!!!

I have all the other DVDs archived to my media player & want to do the same with these.

Is there anyone out there who has a bluray player in their PC & who knows how to do this who would be willing/able to do it for me ?

I'd supply them with a bunch of disks a week & a portable drive to put them onto.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's a LOT of encoding and a LOT of effort you're looking at. I'm not even sure that it's legal (though it bloody well should be...children are destructive).

For the cost of getting someone to do it, you could probably just replace those discs (and then some).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I have Blueray player in my laptop . but if I copy it will the Quality be as good as Blueray

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

BVB wrote: »
    I have Blueray player in my laptop . but if I copy it will the Quality be as good as Blueray

Answer: It depends. You could store the original mpeg 4 on a hard disk, but it would eventually use up a prohibitive amount of space. Otherwise you're looking at encoding it at a very high bitrate with (for example) x264 or the like. High bitrate x264 is indistinguishable from bluray to my eyes.

No offers to do this until the legality aspect has been cleared up please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

iMax wrote: »
    Hi,

Not sure if this should be in this forum or an entertainment one. I have a small collection (about 70) of blurays that I love (about 50% animation, the rest blockbuster type).

However my four year old got hold of my Die Hard 3 (only on import) and my Monsters inc (unwatched) & has somehow rendered them completely unreadable in my player. GRRRRRRR !!!!

I have all the other DVDs archived to my media player & want to do the same with these.

Is there anyone out there who has a bluray player in their PC & who knows how to do this who would be willing/able to do it for me ?

I'd supply them with a bunch of disks a week & a portable drive to put them onto.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks

Where are you based?

edit: oops sorry khannie didn't see your response

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

Khannie wrote: »
    Answer: It depends. You could store the original mpeg 4 on a hard disk, but it would eventually use up a prohibitive amount of space. Otherwise you're looking at encoding it at a very high bitrate with (for example) x264 or the like. High bitrate x264 is indistinguishable from bluray to my eyes.

I think this might be leagal because he OWNS the movies and he is just creating a backup.I don't think thats piracy but thats just my opinion.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Khannie wrote: »
    Legally under Irish copyright law (the Copyright and Related Rights Act from 2000) you're not allowed do it. Personally I don't agree with that and a chunk of us do it for putting things on our mp3 players at the very least but that isn't what you asked.

The backup thing doesn't apply. It only applies to software (for example, as this is how lots of people get the idea) where the licence explicitly allows the user to do so. One of the things I particularly appreciate about US copyright law is the fair use principle and associated clauses, which give the common or garden user more reasonable rights than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

sceptre wrote: »
    Legally under Irish copyright law (the Copyright and Related Rights Act from 2000) you're not allowed do it. Personally I don't agree with that and a chunk of us do it for putting things on our mp3 players at the very least but that isn't what you asked.

The backup thing doesn't apply. It only applies to software (for example, as this is how lots of people get the idea) where the licence explicitly allows the user to do so. One of the things I particularly appreciate about US copyright law is the fair use principle and associated clauses, which give the common or garden user more reasonable rights than here.

oh ok sorry
    I learned something though:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I done it with my dvd collection. Over 200 movies, many seasons of tv shows etc. I didnt encode, just left the files as vob's and converted to mpegs so MCE could play them.

It took me a LONG, LONG time to do it. It was without a doubt one of the most boring, repetitive things Ive ever done. It also took up a huge amount of space (3.5 TB).

Considering you have 70 Blu Ray discs to back up & encode, its a massive undertaking. Encoding takes a huge amount of time too. I dont see how doing this for money could EVER pay you....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

EnterNow wrote: »
    I done it with my dvd collection. Over 200 movies, many seasons of tv shows etc. I didnt encode, just left the files as vob's and converted to mpegs so MCE could play them.

It took me a LONG, LONG time to do it. It was without a doubt one of the most boring, repetitive things Ive ever done. It also took up a huge amount of space (3.5 TB).

Considering you have 70 Blu Ray discs to back up & encode, its a massive undertaking. Encoding takes a huge amount of time too. I dont see how doing this for money could EVER pay you....

Sweet lord, I thought he just wanted 2 backed up. Misread it! 70!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

tommy21 wrote: »
    Sweet lord, I thought he just wanted 2 backed up. Misread it! 70!:eek:

LOL.

Yeah, you're better off just buying a blu-ray drive and doing it yourself.

I would just rip them to a hard-drive using AnyDVD HD. No encoding, would take too long. Maybe discard extraneous languages, special features etc. if you want. Could take 30-90 mins (or longer!) just to rip each one depending on the speed of the drive.

Encoding 70 Blu-Rays to 1080p x264 would take literally thousands of hours with good settings (depending obviously on your CPU). And even then, the compression acheivable isn't massive (if you want good quality). Too much work for too little compression, especially when multi-TB drives are so cheap these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think ripping them using AnyDVD HD and then leaving them alone is the only way to realistically achieve any results here. What I'd look at doing is ripping them onto an NAS device (with several large HDD's), and LAN that directly to a media center. Or if your media center case is large enough to fit the drives then rip straight onto that.

Going the encoding route is madness with that many discs. Id quicker spend the money on storage space to leave them uncompressed, than lose many many (thousands of) hours.

Advertisement