Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resolution for local paper pics?

• 11-10-2009 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what size/resolution I should use when sending photos to a local paper?

(Don't want to clog up their inbox with huge files)

Thanks

Brightspark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

All depends on the paper.

Normally the files are under 1mb in size, depending on what they want.

Best bet - ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

As a rough guide I would say the file should be between 5 and 10Mb (when open in Photoshop). A 5Mb file is approx 10x8" @ 150dpi which is the dpi setting used by most Newspapers, however this assumes the image will not be cropped, so I would aim for the 10Mb mark. This file should then be saved as a .JPG at a medium setting (5-6) which is relatively easy to send and store.
    Exceptions would be: Glossy magazines with newspapers which may need to be 300dpi, or if the image is so good that it may be used at say a 1/2 page (Rare!). On the other hand if you are shooting social pictures that you know will be used 20 to a page then a 2-3Mb file will be fine.
    Don't get hung up on the actual DPI - as long as the file is big enough, the dimensions and exact DPI will be set by the paper.
    The issue you brought up is a good one as most files received by newspapers are now far too big, where only 2-3 years ago many files had to be up-sized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Send the largest you have, let them deal with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Reoil wrote: »
    Send the largest you have, let them deal with it?

The largest you have could be 15mb+. Sending that by email is a nightmare and may not get through.

Most papers will specify a size for the image. There are occasions where they will require a larger format than normal, and will then request that.

For most local papers, you want the file size around 1mb, so 1200 px max side and 300dpi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bvlro

Ideally, the resolution should be as high as possible. But I have seen photos published in newspapers at very small size, something like 800x600px way less de 1Mb. I know that from a friend who works at a newspaper and it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Does anyone know what size/resolution I should use when sending photos to a local paper?

(Don't want to clog up their inbox with huge files)

Thanks

Brightspark

Resize to approx 400-500kb's per image. Send them uncropped & unedited and caption them preferably using Photoshop (unless otherwise directed by them).

That is what I send into, and is accepted, by the picture desks for magazines and the tabloids.

The last thing they want is a full size image i.e. 5-10mb's each image as it clogs their email servers. You will fall out with the Picture Ddesk Editor if you continue to do this.

Advertisement