Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Standards around Kilkenny

Options
  • 11-10-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

I find the standard of driving around Kilkenny city and county appaling.
    For instance this morning, I was turning right through a roundabout. I was perfectly entitled to proceed as I did (no traffic approaching from the right) so I proceeded swiftly through as I was entitled to do. Then suddenly a clown in a 06 silver Toyota Corolla (shock horror there eh :rolleyes:) blows me off the road...wtf :confused:. This idiot obviously thinks that I should have yielded to her (to my left). I was raging (of course) and wanted to get out and give this individual a piece of my mind :D

On a broader level, this is typical in KK. For instance people who indicate to go right on roundabouts whilst proceeding straight through. I mean, how can you be so stupid and unaware as to think this makes sense..

Your thoughts please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Which roundabout was it? Some of them are definitely worse than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Which roundabout was it? Some of them are definitely worse than others.

One at Robertshill. Fairly straightforward one. often happens the other way in KK; people that HAVE the right of way just stop and let you off which can be just as annoying as it wastes even more time as you both come to a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Driving standards are horrendous in Kilkenny, especially the roundabouts from the dublin road down to the waterford road.
    I once saw a man drive straight through a roundabout landing himself on the other side on the wrong side of the road.
    Many people dont seem to know which lane to take when approaching them and also the correct procedure for indicating on them also.

Its almost a pleasure driving in Dublin these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The Dublin road roundabout is truely entertaining and at the same time scary to drive around. I've lost count of the amount of people who are in the wrong lane and indicating wrong who then nearly crash into me and then honk at me like I'm in the wrong.

Best I've seen was at the lights at High street [castle end] I was coming up Rose Inn st waiting for the feeder arrow to turn up high street. Feeder arrow comes on and I go to turn and some guy comes racing down and nearly takes the front off my car off, then has the nerve to blast his horn at me and wave his little fist. Sorry sweet heart you just ran a red light.

and whats with people sitting in boxes around KK? Seriously drives me nuts, trying to turn up to ormonde car park and some young one is in the box blocking people getting in and out chatting away on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

This isn't just Kilkenny. It is the country in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Troysgate roundabout is by far the worst. I was driving round this one about two weeks ago and got blown out of it for... following the rules of the road. A guy coming on the the roundabout in front of me thought that I should stop, despite being already on it, and let him out. Granted I was driving quite 'assertively' (I knew he was going to try edge out, so I kept going, much to his chagrin) and he got a bit of a land.

Also FOGLIGHTS.

Here's a simple way of remembering it for all you mongoloids out there who still don't know how and when to use foglights (and it's one in six of all drivers, from what I counted only last night).

If it's foggy, turn ON your foglights
    If it's not foggy TURN OFF YOUR FOGLIGHTS.

Easy eh?

I would love to set up random checks and fine each one of these fking foglight beaming spastics €100 on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/videos/RSA roundabouts.mpg

Re foglights. I think they know their fog lights are on but think it makes their car look cooler. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I hate when you are coming off the roundabout and the car in front lets people cross the road so when they break suddenly you nearly go into the back of them. This is not the law but people seem to think it is.

I have conteacted the NRA about this to get clarification, only when someone is actually on the road have they the right to continue walking. In reality they should wait for all the traffic to be gone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's not really a KK problem it's everywhere and it's only really the one or two muppets out there that you remember. I don't drive but I cycle a lot (7,000kms this year) and despite the fact in the evening I look like a mobile Christmas tree, fückers still try and pull out in front of me when I'd travelling at 20-50kmph. I've had three or four near misses this year where I've skidded or swerved onto the wrong side of the road etc.....

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jerseyeire wrote: »
    It's not really a KK problem it's everywhere and it's only really the one or two muppets out there that you remember. I don't drive but I cycle a lot (7,000kms this year) and despite the fact in the evening I look like a mobile Christmas tree, fückers still try and pull out in front of me when I'd travelling at 20-50kmph. I've had three or four near misses this year where I've skidded or swerved onto the wrong side of the road etc.....

Funny you mention cycling, I cycled to work in and around Waterford City for years and had no problems...well actually I had a few near misses with pedestrians not looking and some muppet opening a car door infront of me.

Anyway I've moved upto Co Kilkenny and it simply amazes me how many idiots have tried to run me over at cross roads and junctions where I am on the main road, traveling at a very respectful speed and most importantly have the right of way!

Yet these idiots think they can pull out right infront of me

Drives me crazy,

• Advertisement

Forgot the other spot to watch amazing driving - up at Eurospar. People are dangerous driving around that car park and even better at the traffic lights just down from it. I've lost count of the amount of people I've seen run red lights there.

That carpark was badly designed from day one. Like, you can't turn off the main throuroughfare to the left if there's a car waiting to pull out, despite it being a two way traffic system. There's just not enough room to swing in. So you have to constantly stop to let people out, which blocks up the traffic behind you and disrupts the flow.

Once you accept what a stupid, mickey mouse, badly run backwater country we live in it starts to become kind of funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Oh God I have lost count at all the times I have been nearly killed by idiot drivers since I've been here. I'm actually amazed that I'm still able to get behind the wheel [and cross the streets while I'm walking but that's an entirely different topic]

Its actually laughable that they charge so much for a driving test [70 or more] now and it so ridiculously hard when you can throw out everything you have learned the instance you get your license.

"I'm sorry but you've failed your driving test, proving you can't drive.

Now drive home and think about what you've done."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

femur61 wrote: »
    I hate when you are coming off the roundabout and the car in front lets people cross the road so when they break suddenly you nearly go into the back of them. This is not the law but people seem to think it is.

Leave a bit more space between you and the car in front if you are nearly going into the back of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Maybe they should start putting helpful arrows on the approaches to roundabouts like what they do in Portlaoise. At least then it increases the chances of people getting into the correct lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Firetrap wrote: »
    Maybe they should start putting helpful arrows on the approaches to roundabouts like what they do in Portlaoise. At least then it increases the chances of people getting into the correct lane.

Unfortunately that won't help. They'll just ignore them. And they usually do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think there are arrows at the Dublin Rd. roundabout.
    On a seperate note I was going down the Waterford Rd. fast enough on the way home from work and some cünt pulled into the bicycle lane at the lidl roundabout, don't these fückers know what a bicycle lane is for or that they are used?

I think there are arrows at the Dublin Rd. roundabout.
    There are indeed, but this one is unusual in that approaching frum Dublin, the right lane is for straight on, as opposed to the usual left lane.

Aproaching from Hebron, both lanes can be used to go straight on, as can both lanes on the road directly opposite.

People still manage to fk it up though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Eurospar carpark is so badly designed the planners thought they would get as spaces in as possible or the owners got the cheapest planner available and thought they'd make even more money.

• Advertisement

That basically sums up the last 15 years of building in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Its the whole country to be honest. There is up to 10000 drivers on the road who never even had to do a test due to the various amnesties they have had over the years. My mates mum used to have an artic licence because of the amnesties :D!!

Its one of those things that were only getting around to now despite being an independent country for 80 years now were only getting around to building a basic infrastructure and teaching people how to drive now! The young people doing they're tests now have a much harder time passing they're tests than i did.

jiggajt wrote: »
    Its the whole country to be honest. There is up to 10000 drivers on the road who never even had to do a test due to the various amnesties they have had over the years. My mates mum used to have an artic licence because of the amnesties :D!!

Its one of those things that were only getting around to now despite being an independent country for 80 years now were only getting around to building a basic infrastructure and teaching people how to drive now! The young people doing they're tests now have a much harder time passing they're tests than i did.

My parents didn't do a test because back then you just went to the post office and bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

use your indicators on round abouts people..... wrecks my head

It's not just the cars on the road that are dangerous - anyone going jogging on the ring road can you wear something bright...seriously jogging dressed in black at night = not smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ztoical wrote: »
    It's not just the cars on the road that are dangerous - anyone going jogging on the ring road can you wear something bright...seriously jogging dressed in black at night = not smart.

I'd go one further and ban pedestrians from all sections without a dedicated walking path; I mean those Kamakazi's out running and walking at all hours on the sections between Loughboy down ot the Callan road roundabouts; hello?, they're cars/trucks within inches of you doing up to 100 km/h. And they think this is "safe" :rolleyes:

ztoical wrote: »

You forgot to mention the cyclists, there are certain amount of what we term "People on Bikes" (POBs) that think it's a good idea to cycle in the dark without so much as reflector, cycle on footpaths, break red lights etc.... These fúckers give those of us that obide by the law a bad name.

mfitzy wrote: »
    I'd go one further and ban pedestrians from all sections without a dedicated walking path; I mean those Kamakazi's out running and walking at all hours on the sections between Loughboy down ot the Callan road roundabouts; hello?, they're cars/trucks within inches of you doing up to 100 km/h. And they think this is "safe" :rolleyes:

*Cough* I used to do this. It's grand, vehicles aren't supposed to be in the hard shoulder.

They're not supposed to kill people either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jerseyeire wrote: »
    You forgot to mention the cyclists, there are certain amount of what we term "People on Bikes" (POBs) that think it's a good idea to cycle in the dark without so much as reflector, cycle on footpaths, break red lights etc.... These fúckers give those of us that obide by the law a bad name.

Agreed any person on a bike that has no lights and reflectors at night is a muppet, same goes for those idiots who drive at sunset with no lights what so ever on or no lights at all during fog!

Muppets the lot of them

Advertisement