Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Pin Fan Splitter

Options
  • 11-10-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if these are reliable if plugged into the motherboard? I like to be able to control the 2 fans on my Noctua from the PC itself, but as there's only one slot for the CPU fan they always seem to end up running at different RPMs which can increase the noise. A fan splitter seems ideal, but I've heard they can cause problems?

I know a fan controller might be a better option, but there's a good chance others will be using the PC and I don't want them to accidentally shut off the CPU fans!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Well, you need a 4pin splitter for CPU fans anyway. If the Noctuas you've got are 3pin instead of 4pin you won't have CPU auto fan speed control :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Solitaire wrote: »
    Well, you need a 4pin splitter for CPU fans anyway. If the Noctuas you've got are 3pin instead of 4pin you won't have CPU auto fan speed control :(

the Noctua's are 3 pin, almost certain. I may have been imagining the bit about being able to control them though... I can't rightly remember as my PC has been in it's box for nearly 2 weeks due to moving home after me masters finished.

anyway, 3 or 4 pin, a splitter would be neater from my point of view (the current setup definitly results in them running at different RPMs): yay or nay?

Advertisement