Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quarter of an Acre

• 11-10-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Lads ive been looking at a site thats 0.25 of an acre and was wonering if this would be sufficient to build a decent size house/dormer on it roughly 3000sqft

Also price is roughly 80,000 but its within the town so paying more for location, would the above be acceptable and how much would you guys pay?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Is it in a town or within distance to town? You would just about fit it on the site but you won't have much of a garden. If the particular site is attractive to you then, personally, i'd reduce the size of the house, 3000 sq ft is a very big house. 80k- depends where the site is. We're building on a 0.66 of an acre, 20 miles to from m50 and highest valuation we got was 100k for our site. That was in May. The site had full planning permission too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

srdb20 wrote: »
    Lads ive been looking at a site thats 0.25 of an acre and was wonering if this would be sufficient to build a decent size house/dormer on it roughly 3000sqft

Also price is roughly 80,000 but its within the town so paying more for location, would the above be acceptable and how much would you guys pay?

Cheers

80,000 sounds very very very high for that size site in todays climate.
    Seeing as you are only putting one house on it as well..... it may make sense if you were planning 3/4 units.

is the land zoned for housing??
    have you calculated development charges for a house of this size??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Cheers for replys lads, ye i thought it was a bit expensive but its in the town so i assumed i would be paying for location.

the price is without planning permission so what kind off price should i be offering lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

srdb20 wrote: »
    Cheers for replys lads, ye i thought it was a bit expensive but its in the town so i assumed i would be paying for location.

the price is without planning permission so what kind off price should i be offering lads?
    Haggle.

And if you agree a fee, make sure the purchase is subject to obtaining planning permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is it in a town or within distance to town? You would just about fit it on the site but you won't have much of a garden.
    I agree that .25acre isn't a huge site.
    But I would say that a 3000sq.ft house would just fit on the site (esp in a town sue to general size of garden)
    .25 is still over 10,000sq.ft

smashey wrote: »
    Haggle.

And if you agree a fee, make sure the purchase is subject to obtaining planning permission.
    +1 on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

0.25 of an acre is a very small site and definitely not big enough for a house of that size.

Some planning authorities have a minimum site that you need for a house, so you'd need to check that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Since the site is in a town it is likely that there won't be any actual limit on the site area, but there will be minimum seperation distances, such as, 4m between houses (min of 2m to a boundry), min of 11m from rear of house to boundry, keep the existing building line, etc., this may have an impact on the scale of your development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dlambirl wrote: »
    0.25 of an acre is a very small site and definitely not big enough for a house of that size.

I don't see how you can say that without knowing exactly were it is. 100% coverage is permissible in some areas

Advertisement