Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about workers rights

Options
  • 11-10-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just need some advise on if this is right for my job to do or not.

I got a text in July off boss saying that things are quiet so i'd be kinda on call for the next while. I havent got any hours since and so far they've hired about 3 more people :S Ive texted asking if there were hours and got no reply. Im still technically an employee in the place so is this right? Is it ok for them to hire new staff the take the hours I should be working?

I went in to help out the other day with something and just got paid cash in hand off my boss also. Which just gave me the impression of "here's some money thanks for your help seeya"

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think this is probably better suited to the Work Problems forum, but mods feel free to move it back here if it's not for you.

Moved from PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I suspect he is in the wrong but more details are needed.

Were you in a full-time position? How long were you working there? Did you have a contract? What was the job? Did you get your P45? Are you signing on?

And did you keep the texts in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm in a part time position, worked there since it opened this time last year. Have a contract and completed my probation period etc. There was no proper sign on we just wrote down our hours we worked to get paid. Dont have the texts no unfortunately, have a feeling I should have kept em.

It also looks like they have interns to replace my hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

More q's

Are you a student?

What have you been living on since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yup student and been borrowing off the rents but its really gettin messy now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Mods are takin forever so postin as myself :cool:

i'm a student. Working there since it opened this time last year in a part-time position. Living at home. Have a contract and was made made permanent with their congratulations.

The text just said they were struggling and needed to make cuts on hours and work on the people they have. But they cut all my hours and not anyone else's. And also hired another person with little knowledge on the job after 2 other employees left.
    Maybe because i'm the youngest at 20? Im also quiet and easy going and im not the type of person to make a fuss really.

As far as I was concerned they were very happy with my work and knowledge.
    Is it right that they have 2 interns to replace my hours?

We usually write down the hours weve worked on a sheet to get paid, but just got paid in hand the other day where I worked for a special occasion

and nope didnt get p45. And so didnt sign on.

Hope ye's can enlighten me:(

I think you have 2 options, either sign on part time in which case your employer will have to detail which days they will employ you every week in writing.

Or you ask for your P45 and sign on. They may reconsider when they think of you no longer working there. Then you can sign off for 1 or 2 days as they give you work.

You need to get in touch with them and remind them you are hungry for hours. your so laid back maybe they think you have loads on and are really only in it for the odd shift.
    You will have to ask why your hours were cut and another employee was takes on. You could put it to them that things seem to be looking up for the business as they have hired new staff.

Your proper rights kick in after a years service usually so as they have not terminated your employment, this leaves them in a bad situation.

Two employees left since my hours were cut and so those two new employees were hired. So it just looks like there's an intern to replace my hours.

Thanks for your reply that sounds like a good idea

You can't sign on at all if you are a student. Signing on is for people who are actively looking for work and are available for work. You maybe entitled to the grant.

I am pretty much available for work as my college hours are pretty flexible. May just go in and grab me p45 and look for another job

• Advertisement

But to be entitled to the dole you have to be 100% available for work. Therefore students can not sign on and never could.

By all means look for another job.

My bad i didn't see you were a student, grab your P45 and go. Claim your tax back if you paid any.

Story is now they sent me out a letter saying they aren;t in a position to give me furthur hours. So im basically laid off. They never gave me any notice though.

Advertisement