Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Speed Limit BYE-LAWS, 2009

Options
  • 12-10-2009 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

The City Council proposed to make these City Limits BYE-LAWS, thus lowering the speed limits on roads such as N17 from 100kph to 50kph. I really do not see the need for lowering the speed limit on that portion of N17.

More interesting, is that proposals such as raising the speed limit to 80kps on the Quincentennial Bridge and Bothar na dTreabh (between Kirwan to Font R/A) which were considered in 2007 version of the bye-laws are ignored in this one.

I say, it is the right time to raise this with the City Council. What do you think?
    More info at: http://www.galwaycity.ie/TopNews/MainBody,6191,en.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

The dirty 30 needs to be changed... FACT. Thats the dual carrageway road from the roundabout where the Menlo Hotel is, up towards Tuam road, where the IBIS hotel used to be.What a JOKE of a road layout in terms of speed limits. its at 50 now but should at least be upped to 80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Great, another set of city speed limits for Galway motorists to ignore:p:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

That dual carriageway between the Marriot and the Tuam Road is within the city limits, and has the entrance to a housing estate off it at the Tuam Road end; isn't that the reason it's 50kph?

As for the N17 doesn't that fall under Galway County Council and not Galway City Council from Castlegar outward?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

DanielI wrote: »
    The City Council proposed to make these City Limits BYE-LAWS, thus lowering the speed limits on roads such as N17 from 100kph to 50kph. I really do not see the need for lowering the speed limit on that portion of N17.

More interesting, is that proposals such as raising the speed limit to 80kps on the Quincentennial Bridge and Bothar na dTreabh (between Kirwan to Font R/A) which were considered in 2007 version of the bye-laws are ignored in this one.

I say, it is the right time to raise this with the City Council. What do you think?

Fully in favour of the 50 km/h near that Parkmore turnoff - it's really, really dangerous to turn there, at least at peak times, cars are flying past, and there have been a good few accidents at that junction/stretch of road. It doesn't need to be 50 all the way, just maybe 500 m in each direction before that turnoff.

Not that anyone will give a flying feck about it, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

Fey! wrote: »
    That dual carriageway between the Marriot and the Tuam Road is within the city limits, and has the entrance to a housing estate off it at the Tuam Road end; isn't that the reason it's 50kph?

As for the N17 doesn't that fall under Galway County Council and not Galway City Council from Castlegar outward?

I am not sure that this the reason for which is 50kph. The council had an attempt to raise the speed limit to 80kph (see attached), but I do not know what happened.

Apparently that N17 belongs to the City, although I thought national roads were under the NRA umbrella.

• Advertisement

galah wrote: »
    Fully in favour of the 50 km/h near that Parkmore turnoff - it's really, really dangerous to turn there, at least at peak times, cars are flying past, and there have been a good few accidents at that junction/stretch of road. It doesn't need to be 50 all the way, just maybe 500 m in each direction before that turnoff.

Not that anyone will give a flying feck about it, though...

I agree with you. It is a dangerous junction. But they could have made the speed limit applicable during certain times. Specifically, by having an additional sign under the speed limit sign saying 6-10am and 4-7pm.

As for nobody caring, bring on speed cameras! This is what eats me: Put the speed limit, then not enforce it. This way, people that are trying to follow the law, get tailgated by lorries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Not in favor of speed limit upgrades on the DC sections as they dont have central barriers. 80kmh head on collision is effectively 160kmh, no thanks.

As for nobody caring, bring on speed cameras!

I'm actually in favour of this too, but average cameras like a lot of the ones in the UK (they time your vehicle over a set distance and calculate your average speed), NOT the regular fish-in-a-barrel GATSO boxes.

Not in favor of speed limit upgrades on the DC sections as they dont have central barriers. 80kmh head on collision is effectively 160kmh, no thanks.

But it is okay to travel at 80kph on regional roads;)

you don't drive any roads in the whole country then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Put any speed limit you want - just post the speed limit if it isn't going to be evident.

I'm not a bloody psychic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

you don't drive any roads in the whole country then?

Not duallers with no middle barrier and tonnes of weaving traffic, anyway.

The Bye-Laws have become final and will be implemented from 1st of February 2010.

99859.jpg

A bit like this?

I couldn't figure out the 60kph (yellow) one, and I had cropped the map a bit tight for the 50kph. Sorry!

Some I don't see any actual changes in, and some are good, common sense, imho.

Nothing really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

fend wrote: »
    The dirty 30 needs to be changed... FACT. Thats the dual carrageway road from the roundabout where the Menlo Hotel is, up towards Tuam road, where the IBIS hotel used to be.What a JOKE of a road layout in terms of speed limits. its at 50 now but should at least be upped to 80.

I totally disagree. As has already been said, there is no central barrier and estates come out straight onto this stretch of road. It's not exactly a long way, and a higher speed limit wouldn't get you up/down the hill that much quicker. Also, given how many people already drive well above the current limit, how would we know that the same muppets people wouldn't drive proportionately higher than a new, e.g. 80km/h, limit? Cameras would help, for sure.

Fey! wrote: »
    99859.jpg

A bit like this?

I couldn't figure out the 60kph (yellow) one, and I had cropped the map a bit tight for the 50kph. Sorry!

Some I don't see any actual changes in, and some are good, common sense, imho.

Nothing really bad.

Something like that!
    Check the link from the first post to get to the official maps.

padraig71 wrote: »
    I totally disagree. As has already been said, there is no central barrier and estates come out straight onto this stretch of road. It's not exactly a long way, and a higher speed limit wouldn't get you up/down the hill that much quicker. Also, given how many people already drive well above the current limit, how would we know that the same muppets people wouldn't drive proportionately higher than a new, e.g. 80km/h, limit? Cameras would help, for sure.

Everybody drives above that limit! I tried to obey it but a big lorry behind me seemed to want to "jump me". They can close the estate entrance at the Tuam Rd end; there is another access way from the Tuam Rd. Also they can ban cars coming from the Tuam R/A to turn right, crossing the carriageway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carterson2

If you tell me the lat/long of the new speedlimit, I or you can put it on
    http://www.wikispeedia.org

We occasionally pay for speed limit information in a land-grab type system.
    More info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikispeedia

jim pruett

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Apologies for dragging up an old thread.

This page is no longer available. Does anyone have the documents that went with the consultation, especially any maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If so PM Victor this info.
    Necro lock.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement