Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog hernia?

Options
  • 12-10-2009 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I think my puppy has a hernia after her spaying operation. Has this happened to anyone else's dog?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Not had it happen myself - has the vet seen her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

After spaying? I have never experienced this, are you sure i'ts not fluid collection around the wound? This can cause it to bulge a bit. If it's painful to touch, very hot, very red or generally looks a bit dodgy, then you'll need to bring her back to the vet - she could have an infection. A dose of antibiotics usually is all that is needed for this. As far as I am aware, if it is a hernia at the site of spaying the dog is in agony (usually due to internal stitches holding the stomach wall together rupturing) and needs to be seen asap by a vet.

Generally, if you have any concern about your dog (esp after an opperation), give your vet a buzz or bring the dog in to see a vet - that's what they are there for!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

Thanks for replies. She was at the vet this morning, and it's an infection. Poor thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Timewaster

I had to leave my dog with the vet this morning to have a hernia operation. She was neutered a good while back & a few weeks later the lump appeared. I brought her back to the vet who told me she is not in any pain & the lump does not bother her in any way, however, if it got any bigger they would have to operate. As I'm sure you can tell, it did get bigger & she's on the operating table as we speak. The hernia was a direct effect of the neutering op she had. The vet is doing the operation free of charge.

Advertisement