Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Painting; Need advice, South County Dublin.

Options
  • 12-10-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey Guys,

I just got my hands on an old road bike. Its from the 70s but its in fantastic cond. as it was kept indoors. However the paint work on the bike is really old and boring so I want to paint it and make it a bit more cooler and modern looking.

I want to paint it matte black. So I was wondering what shud I do. From my general knowledge i wud imagine that I have to remove the orginal paint, put on a primer and then the new paint.

However I dont know whats the best way to get that orginal paint off. I was thinking that sandblasting wud do it because its metal. Anyone know any sandblasters in the south county dublin area??! or have general advice on how else I wud get the paint off and how I would best paint it?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

ScottReynolds got a very nice job done, I think it was by a crowd in Tallaght. Not cheap though, but results were class!

Powder coating ftw!

Sandblasting could add even more to the cost, you can buy a few tins of nitromors yourself and strip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Send it to Tallaght Powder Coating. It will cost about 90 euro and its a pro job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maximus747

the lads in Tallaght Powder Coating quoted me 180-220 euro.. thats mad. Im a student dont have that cash lying around...

think im gonna do it myself. Strip the paint. four coats of Primer and then 2 coats of the matte black black.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

You could try this guy too, he usually does DH bikes but send him a message and see what he quotes you:

http://www.irishdh.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7513

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I'm in the process of spraying my commuter at the minute.Spent about 50 euro on supplies and its a lot of work. Getting it powder coated properly is easier and probably a much better job.

I did read somewhere though if you wanna paint it black all you need is some hammerite barbecue paint. No need for primer or lacquer. Probably a fairly easy job aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Trick is the preparation, not the spraying, lots of bloody sanding.

I've access to a spray system, its not an anodizing one, but with a little lacquer...I'm thinking bright green hybrid over christmas:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Trick is the preparation, not the spraying, lots of bloody sanding.

I've access to a spray system, its not an anodizing one, but with a little lacquer...I'm thinking bright green hybrid over christmas:D
    Bright green is the colour i'm going too.

Advertisement