Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominick street market???

Options
  • 12-10-2009 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Anyone been to this market?? gona go and take a look at the weekend..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Get the brownies.

oh. my. god!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

+1 for the home baking stall.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Get a South African hot sausage! Epic! And the bagels, oh the bagels!

But yeah, home baking stall is pretty class too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Went a few weeks ago, and found it a bit meh.

However I LOVE the new(ish) market - the Long Walk Market - upstairs in Nimmos on Sat. The even have a dj :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Is the Dominic street Market the same times as the other markets? Didn't even know there was one. Oops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Asmodean wrote: »
    Is the Dominic street Market the same times as the other markets? Didn't even know there was one. Oops.
    It's on seven days a week from 10 to 7. There are different stall holders midweek from the the weekend. Defo worth a nosey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Christ I'm living here 5 years and never knew about this. For shame!! Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

It only opened some time during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I keep meaning to go to this but I never seem to make it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

It really doesn't look like much any time I've passed:confused:

It doesn't exactly strike me as all that enticing.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 galwayrocks

went in for a nosey today, pretty quiet...only a few stalls there...picked up a leather wallet for a tenner so not to bad, the guy said the home baking girl is only there on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Looks like I'll be paying a visit on Saturday so!

The 'Long Walk' market upstairs in Nimmos is 11-6. Not sure who the DJ is this week but last week was great craic and lovely atmosphere. I had the most delicious spanakopita EVER (had to google the spelling lads!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Is the market on Dominic Street in the same place where the restaurant/theatre used to be? If it is, I was in there about a month ago. Got some food in the little Italian restaurant at the back. It was ok...until I discovered mould on the potatoes :eek: The owner came up with some crazy story about what this mould really was. Now that I think of it, it was like one of the mad stories I'm currently reading in The Third Policeman! IMO food like that is not acceptable under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

The owner came up with some crazy story about what this mould really was.

What was the story that she came up with? Was this cold or hot potatoes?

It was a guy. Sounded/looked Italian to me. The mould was white, fluffy and in patches on the skin of the potatoes. It looked like the stuff you get on bread that's gone stale. The potatoes wer supposed to be hot but they were just warm. They were diced with the skin still on them and baked in an oven (well baked at some stage prior to serving). When we mentioned it he said that this was formed by some potato-oven chemical interaction. As the story progressed it became more and more elaborate (but less believable) as to why this white fluffy stuff (which according to him was definitely not mould) had formed. Feck, maybe he was telling the truth afterall...but I have never ever seen an oven do that to poor, innocent spuds :rolleyes:

Could have been some kind of starchy reaction I suppose. Either way, doesn't sound too pleasant to look at! Did he offer you a replacement / refund?
    Even if it wasn't mould, it sounds like it made the food less appealing, and wasn't what you were expecting in a spud, so hopefully he fixed that?

What happened was I was in there with my gf because we wanted to give the place a try. I ordered lasagne and she got something vegetarian. Both came with the potatoes. The food was ok, just not very hot. The we noticed the mould. Because the place was quiet the guy (dressed like a chef but standing chatting to the other staff members at the till) noticed our reaction and approached us. We then mentioned the mould which brought forth the amazing oven-potato reaction story. The problem was that because the story went on for so long, the situation became really really awkward. To my own shame, I just smiled and nodded (and didn't finish the food - no appetite for some srange reason!). When it came to paying, the guy couldn't admit to it being mould because of his story and I couldn't not pay because I must have led him to believe that I believed him...even though my gf is a microbiologist and deals with mould all the time (growing colonies of the sh*t on petri dishes and such) at work. Awkward sums it up really.

I saw the italian place when I was there but didnt have anything to eat.....looked like a nice place, the atmosphere was pretty chilled out which I liked but I think Ill give the spuds a miss if they come with mould, just not to my taste :P

Perhaps the place is still a theatre restaurant and the fantastical ad lib stories they tell you about the food are all part of the performance :D
    They were friendly however.

• Advertisement

They are nice folks there, but to be honest, if someone here knows them well they should have a word.
    This is the third time in a month I have heard people be miffed enough to say something about it. 1 x still frozen lasagne, 1 x burnt food and now 1 x possible mould? I thought it was just teething problems, and lord knows no one wants them to fail, but they should *absolutely* give you a discount for your concern, even if it wasn't mould.

I am not for the US style 'customer is always right' but there should always be a 'lean' toward it, particularly if it is obvious they are not chancers. Just good biz sense. I hope it changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 barbara1975

Hello everyone. My name is barbara vulso and I'm one of the owner of the "fiori di zucca" italian cafe in the indoor market.
    First of all, I'm really sorry to read all of this, coz what we are doing it's hard work and real passion. But, anyway, I just thought that maybe I should say something too.
    I remember the episode that tristan was talking about...I'm sorry that it was a bad experience for him.
    the man approching you was massimo, he's one of the owner as well, he's italian, he's a chef and he has a degree in biology.
    What he said to tristan was that the skin of the potatoes in the oven get crispy and sometimes can turned brown.
    We asked to the guys if they wanted something else, and we really gave them the option to complaint on site, they said that everything was fine. That's why I decided that the thing was sorted. I actually approched them as well, just to be sure that everything was ok. Obviously my mistake.
    But just to let you know:
    We cook our potatoes daily in the oven, they are irish baby potatoes. they are washed in the morning, then dried, sliced and put on a bakng tray with olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.we leave the skin on, coz we think it's nice on the roasted baby potatoes. We cooked them at 180 for at least 1 hour, or until well roasted.
    about what inishboffin was saying: no, we don't frozen our lasagna. Again it is baked daily in the morning. then we have, by law, once it has cooled down, to keep it in the fridge. It's mandatory. And lasagna it's not something you can cook on order. it would be nice, but it would take about 40 minutes to have it ready on your plate. So, we reheat that in the oven til it reaches a temperature of more than 78degrees.
    Which is to me, and to the european law, warm enough.
    it takes few minutes more, but it's worth it. We try to avoid microwave, unless the customer ask specifically for a very quick service (like: I only have 10 minutes for my break...etc.). About the burnt food, I'm not aware of anyone that complained about this.
    Again, I know that one can't make everyone happy, but, in all fairness, we really try. We always ask the customers if they liked our food, if everything was alright. It's normal, we just started 7 weeks ago. I'm sure there are so many things we can do better. Like everyone.
    I know it's long, but it was very important to me to give my opinion too.
    Thank you for your attention.
    Barbara

Well Barbara, I think everyone appreciates you responding.
    However neither am I making up the incident about a friend getting cold food - whether or not it satisfies the 'European Standard'. I used the word frozen, as that's what they said - "it was really cold, maybe it had been frozen" Obviously it wasn't, if it was fresh baked, but neither was it hot enough. They DID send it back for a reheat, that I know. That you can guarantee cold food never coming out is amazing, because I know from experience in kitchens that this is pretty impossible.

My point was not that you had mould on your potatoes, in fact I mentioned it might possibly be starch. My point was that it is simply good etiquette to ensure the customer is happy rather than going on any kind of defensive. Obviously the story of the person with the mould does not match yours, as you said you'd offered them alternate food and they'd declined.
    Perhaps that is just by omission. I did ask that question though.

Personally if it had been me and they hadn't eaten any more, I wouldn't have charged them, but that's just me. And as for the incident with the burnt food, I am sure you are right in that it wasn't brought to your attention. The person in question who was served it is unlikely to have said anything - sadly a more common Irish trait, and of course, how could you know then. I simply brought it up because it was one of three things soon together.
    My main reason, to be honest for posting here was not out of malice but out of the fact that people tend to complain to each other, rather than to the restaurant itself. This serves no one in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 barbara1975

Not my intention to say you made up the incident.
    i'm just sayin that we don't serve frozen food.
    I know, it can happen sometimes that something doesn't go right.
    it's just easier to deal with that straight away and not on a computer screen.
    I'm not say we are perfect. I wish I could, but we're not.
    Anyway, we can only learn from our mistakes.
    I wish a good night to you and everyone.
    Barbara

No worries
    I was just making it clear where I was coming from.
    I actually think it's good that you came on and clarified too. I figured a boardsie would let you know so you could address it! ;) And if we are dissatisfied I think we need to say it more - otherwise how would that ever change. I will come in and give the grub a try for myself Barbara, how about that? :)

All this talk of food in the wee hours has me hungry.:D

I remember the episode that tristan was talking about...I'm sorry that it was a bad experience for him.
    the man approching you was massimo, he's one of the owner as well, he's italian, he's a chef and he has a degree in biology.
    What he said to tristan was that the skin of the potatoes in the oven get crispy and sometimes can turned brown.
    We asked to the guys if they wanted something else, and we really gave them the option to complaint on site, they said that everything was fine. That's why I decided that the thing was sorted. I actually approched them as well, just to be sure that everything was ok. Obviously my mistake.
    Barbara

Hi Barbara, I don't want to argue really but I totally disagree with your version of events. We certainly were NOT offered something else because you never admitted that anything was wrong. Thanks for replying however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Just a quick one to say I've eaten regularly in Fiori de Zucci and I've never had a problem with the food. I'm addicted to the pear and nutella tart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rorydog

have you tried the long walk market upstairs in nimmo's? it's good

went up for a look, its in nimmos, mostly a craft fair type thing I think.

• Advertisement

went up for a look, its in nimmos, mostly a craft fair type thing I think.

When were you there?:confused:

I was there on Sat. Will Softly was djing, sat and had had coffee, amazing food, my pal had wine. Came out with duck eggs, veggies, pastries and hand made choccies (amazing natural raw choccy)!
    There's craft suff there, but at least 1/3 is food. Great craic.

Advertisement