Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it really so difficult to find accomodation in Sydney?

Options
  • 12-10-2009 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

My friend and I are heading over to Australia at the beginning of November on a year's WHV. A few months ago, we booked a package-type deal with usit (never again - absolute nightmares to deal with). Part of the package was supposed to be a month's accomodation in Sydney, but now, with three weeks to go before we leave, we're being told they can find nothing for us and that they will refund us our accomodation money.

I'm fairly surprised - surely in the current climate there's a lot of rental property available? We requested a house share rather than an apartment - are these particularly difficult to come by? We had Bondi and Sydney Central as our accomodation preferences - is this the problem? Should we have moved further afield? And does anyone know if we are likely to find it very difficult to get accomodation once we get over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

skybluejay wrote: »
    We had Bondi and Sydney Central as our accomodation preferences - is this the problem?

Well it depends on what you mean by Sydney Central? There is fairly decent transport links all round Sydney so if you mean the city centre, then no, I wouldn't limit yourself to there. I had little difficulty find accomodation for me and the g/f, took about 2 days and that's with 3 viewings. www.gumtree.com.au is the place to look for accomodation, although be very wary about what you agree/pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Its summer season comin up,, everything gets snapped up. but also, prices double for summer, so maybe they couldnt find anything in your price range

My bro lives in a 2BR apartment at Bondi, was 550 a week, now its 700+, just cos its summer

Im in Brisbane now, much better for jobs and accomm

I only came here for a week or 2, but im staying

Theres plenty of Studio / 1BR apartments for about 200 a week incl all bills

and I got a job within 4 days being here

Sydney is where everyone goes first
    Yes, theres more jobs there, but about 30 times the amount of people applyin for them, who all need places to live.....

good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 solas geal

Also, try www.domain.com.au or www.travellers.com.au, as well as gumtree mentioned above. Should get something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

try www.sydneyterraces.com
    stayed there for 4 months when i was in sydney. its a house share type thing. its a handy place to get started coz its dirt cheap and the quality is OK. theres buses right beside it and train station 10 mins walk away. train takes 15 mins to bondi junction (bout $2). bus is 25 mins into the city (bout $3).

Worst comes to worst, stay there for cheap for a month, which will give you time to get a job and find a nice place. you should check out notice boards in shops and launderettes and hostels etc when u get there. best place to find cheap accomodation.

ps gumtree is full of scammers. if theres no phone number attached to the ad, its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Don't limit yourself to just the city and Bondi. Most places are easily accessed by trains and buses. I live in Kensington and have a about 9 direct bus routes into the city, which takes about 10-15 minutes.
    Trying to find somewhere is very competitive, so do be prepared for some long days of searching and being interviewed. Gumtree and domain are your best options!

• Advertisement
Advertisement