Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Builder In Need of Guidance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    as long as yo have a hdmi output or dvi, i run my desktop off a 32" lcd. looks class. got tv from luzern tech on ebay only €380

thanks majiktripp. gonna try my first build in a few months, that site will help lots
    they use air coolers in the bundles, is that enough? or would you be better off using liquid?. no point investing all that money for it to explode on me in a couple months

Liquid cooling is expensive requires maintenance + doesn't offer than much value for money, also can be noisy...

The stock coolers you get are fine if you're not overclocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Ok, so here is what I should be getting. Just want to make sure all the parts will work with each other..

Intel i5-750

Asus P7P55D, ATX, DDR3

Sapphire HD 5850 1GB DDR5 PCI EXPRESS

4GB Kit OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 CL8 Low-Voltage

Corsair TX650W 650 Watt

LG GH22NS Retail schwarz SATA

Samsung HD103UJ 1TB 32MB SATA II

Xigmatek Midgard, ATX

Coolermaster Hyper TX3

Xigmatek XLF-F1253 LED Lüfter - 120mm (Gonna Get 2 of these)

Asus VH222H 21.5"

Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 Wärmeleitpaste

Total = €1000 (Roughly)

I think that is pretty much everything I will need, other than Windows 7 which I will be buying off amazon hopefully. I havent left anything out have I?

You need thermal paste for the cpu cooler http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28918&agid=669 and the dvd drive you selected is an ide one. You want a sata instead

Effluo wrote: »
    You need thermal paste for the cpu cooler and the dvd drive you selected is an ide one. You want a sata instead

Thanks for that, was just about to ask if the thermal paste came with the CPU or not :pac:

Hopefully I wont have anymore questions for you until I have to put the thing together. Which I will inevitably feck up somehow..

Just an update on the build!

I ordered the stuff just now of ebuyer.com. This was mainly because the payment methods on HWS seemed awkward, plus it didn't work out much more expensive to buy on ebuyer than HWS.

• Advertisement

phlegms wrote: »
    plus it didn't work out much more expensive to buy on ebuyer than HWS.

Are you sure? That sounds odd to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

ebuyer has some of the best prices arround. I dunno how they do it really :)

Make sure you keep us updated on how far you can push the i5, though i expect 3.8-4.0 should be no problem :D

Effluo wrote: »
    Are you sure? That sounds odd to me...

It came to about €1000 on ebuyer while on HWS it was coming to about €950/960.

It came to about €1000 on ebuyer while on HWS it was coming to about €950/960.

What was your shipping cost from eBuyer if I may ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Leman_Russ wrote: »

I too would be interested to know this, cost me £9.99 for a bunch of stuff I bought before, wondering is it flat rate postage. Also what graphics card did you order from eBuyer? They don't have Sapphire 5850's and the XFX ones they list are pre-order only so they don't have them in stock just yet.

• Advertisement

It cost me £23 for shipping, seems a bit much but keep in mind I did buy a whole computers worth of components and a 23 inch PC screen.

I got the XFX 5850 gfx card in the end. It seemed as good as the sapphire from the reviews I read. Ebuyer will be shipping it on tuesday which is when the card comes in stock.

Well my parts eventually arrived today after a slightly messy ordering experience because of a cock up on google checkout's behalf.

Anyway, I have no fecking Idea how I am going to put this together! I looked up a load of guides online before hand on how to assemble a pc, but they make it look easy when in reality it just isn't :o I spent literally an hour wrestling with my zalman CNPS10X cpu cooler trying to get it to fit but failed to do so. Instead I just stuck on the stock cooler that came with the i5 for the time being..
    After I did that I put the mo-bo in the case and put the PSU in which I managed with relative ease. However, now I dont know what cables go where or what I should do next or even if I should just pay someone to finish the job for me...

Is building computers always this fun or am I just a special case? :o

Well my parts eventually arrived today after a slightly messy ordering experience because of a cock up on google checkout's behalf.

Anyway, I have no fecking Idea how I am going to put this together! I looked up a load of guides online before hand on how to assemble a pc, but they make it look easy when in reality it just isn't :o I spent literally an hour wrestling with my zalman CNPS10X cpu cooler trying to get it to fit but failed to do so. Instead I just stuck on the stock cooler that came with the i5 for the time being..
    After I did that I put the mo-bo in the case and put the PSU in which I managed with relative ease. However, now I dont know what cables go where or what I should do next or even if I should just pay someone to finish the job for me...

It's always this fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Dont pay someone to do it as you lose out on the fun:D
    If you like i can talk you through the rest of it via xfire or msn (obviously for free) as being slack with work i've plenty of time to spare.
    Either that or i can post up a guide for you.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Dont pay someone to do it as you lose out on the fun:D
    If you like i can talk you through the rest of it via xfire or msn (obviously for free) as being slack with work i've plenty of time to spare.
    Either that or i can post up a guide for you.

Im done fiddling with it for the night, but I may just hold you to that offer.

Being the noob that I am, the only useful guide for me would be one using my exact hard-ware configuration :o

I'm now sick with worry as in my struggle to get the Zalman cpu cooler on, some of that thermal paste got on the green/gold bits at the side of the processor. Please tell me this wont matter in the long run..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Im done fiddling with it for the night, but I may just hold you to that offer.

Being the noob that I am, the only useful guide for me would be one using my exact hard-ware configuration :o

I'm now sick with worry as in my struggle to get the Zalman cpu cooler on, some of that thermal paste got on the green/gold bits at the side of the processor. Please tell me this wont matter in the long run..

No worries pm me and i'll give you my addy if you need any help.
    If the paste did go on the sides its ok but not the bottom of the cpu.I presume that happened with the struggle trying to fit the zalman with its supplied paste.Did you clean the cpu fully before you used the stock cooler? as if not there would be way too much on it now.
    There are tonnes of guides on how to apply paste but in general a blob about the size of a small grain of rice is all you need in the middle of cpu as the pressure of the cooler willl spread it.

I finished building it today and as of now it seems to be working (No OS installed yet).
    Only thing I couldnt get working was the CPU cooler. Had to use the stock i5 one which is very loud, will put my zalman one on at a later date.

I finished building it today and as of now it seems to be working (No OS installed yet).
    Only thing I couldnt get working was the CPU cooler. Had to use the stock i5 one which is very loud, will put my zalman one on at a later date.

What was wrong with the CPU Cooler??

What was wrong with the CPU Cooler??

It was being really awkward to fit, will have another go at some stage later.

Another update!

Finally got my gfx card working. It was just a case of getting the latest drivers, which for some reason werent on sapphires site, installed.
    Have to get my wireless adapters working now. I have 2 usb wireless adapters but neither of them are working on Win 7. I'd say its just a case of the drivers not being supported, but hopefully I wont have to buy a new one..

• Advertisement
Advertisement