Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathfarnham

Options
  • 12-10-2009 3:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi People, I am considering moving into an appartment in Rathfarnham (spec Rath Village) I have seen and was just wondering if it was considered a 'nice' part of Dublin to live in?? If not where would the really nice places be? I have no idea where to start as don't no Dublin at all...

Any ideas?

- Also I think there is only bus to city centre as a form of transport, do you know how much it costs for single for exapmle to city centre or return even.

Thanks in Advance xxx :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Are you talking the big block of apartments there on the corner of the main street? It's a decent enough area. Not sure what it costs there but i'd bet you get a nice house in the area for close to the same money (I assume you are renting?)

There are 3 buses that pass these apartments to town, 16,16a, and the 15a(not sure if its a or not but it is a 15) fare is €1.80 to O'C street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 vocalvenus

Oh no sure, I got driven there by my friend as i don't drive, I do know there is only 5-6 appartments together there, not like a big block of manyy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

16, 16a and 74a all pass by Rathfarnham Village - fare is EUR 1.80 - they are fairly frequent.

The 15b passes by Rathfarnham Shopping Centre.

Thanks guys, is Rathfarnham Village close to shopping centre? Does it have womens clothes shops? Pennies, Dunnes, New look etc? Super Market? Also do you know how long does it take to go to O'connol Street by bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Great place to live.From village it is a 5 min walk to Rathfarnham SC which has Penneys, Tesco and a number of smaller shops including good coffee shop. You are about 15 min walk to Nutgrove SC which has a Dunnes as well as Tesco and Penneys plus a lot more smaller shops.

• Advertisement

thegen wrote: »
    Great place to live.From village it is a 5 min walk to Rathfarnham SC which has Penneys, Tesco and a number of smaller shops including good coffee shop. You are about 15 min walk to Nutgrove SC which has a Dunnes as well as Tesco and Penneys plus a lot more smaller shops.

Thats really helpful thankyou!....coffee shop VERY important ;-) lol I am a big coffee drinker :-)

Any other info would be great...sounds like a nice place to live :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Revels is a good locals pub but very male orientated, yellow is more of an allround good couples pub. Good food in Templeogue Inn. Good Indian and Italian restaurant in the village. Great Deli, Rowans in village also. Never used the coffee shop in the village but it is supposed to be good.

Cool thanks for the info Gen :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

vocalvenus wrote: »
    Thanks guys, is Rathfarnham Village close to shopping centre? Does it have womens clothes shops? Pennies, Dunnes, New look etc? Super Market? Also do you know how long does it take to go to O'connol Street by bus?

16 in the mornings (around 0730) will take about 35 minutes to get to O'Connell Street from Rathfarnham Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

KC61 wrote: »
    16 in the mornings (around 0730) will take about 35 minutes to get to O'Connell Street from Rathfarnham Village.

Provided it's not raining!, if it is you can pretty much add another 30 minutes on to that. But yeah it's a grand place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Great place to live if you like going for walks as well, Bushy Park, St. Enda's and the grounds of Rathfarnham Castle all within walking distance. The 74a flys into town as well. You can also get the 75 or 17 to Dundrum shopping center from there if that's your thing. It's not a rough area but neither is it a snooty area, it's a great place to live.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Great place to live if you like going for walks as well, Bushy Park, St. Enda's and the grounds of Rathfarnham Castle all within walking distance. The 74a flys into town as well. You can also get the 75 or 17 to Dundrum shopping center from there if that's your thing. It's not a rough area but neither is it a snooty area, it's a great place to live.

Well buses sound good guys...apart from in rain ;-) and yeah Dundrum shopping centre def my thing :-) I'm a woman I LOVE shopping! ;-)

Any good doctors practises in the area? that anyone has experience of??? there seems so many!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Rathfarnham is a great place to live. I've lived here all my life. I honestly can't imagine myself living anywhere else in Dublin, I'm too attatched to the place!

There's a pretty decent choice of pubs around the area. I'm relatively young (21) so most of the time I go to The Orchard (beside the shopping centre) or The Eden (beside Marlay Park). Revels and The Yellow House are good too. I would steer clear of The Castle and Seasons (which is actually closed now).

The Village Take Away is the best in the area IMO. Rowans is a great deli, though it is a little pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for in fairness. Casanovas is a gorgeous Italian restaurant, can't recommend them enough. The Studio Cafe seems like a nice place. I haven't been in it though, I have heard good things. Village Hardware is handy too. They opened recently but I've used the place a few times already just for basic stuff.

I'm assuming you're female so I guess it's OK to recommend Nu U Beauty Clinic, just off the Grange Road. My GF and a lot of her friends go here a lot and it's very reasonably priced (so I've heard!). George King butchers beside it is great too, I get everything from them. The Shamrock on the Grange Road is another place that comes to mind - they have penny sweets! There aren't too many places that do them anymore but I love them and my little cousins can't get enough of them.

Marlay Park, St. Endas Park and Bushy Park are all walking distance from the Village. These are some of the best parks in Dublin IMO, handy to have them right on your doorstep!

I guess you can tell I like the place! If you want to know anything else just ask :)

Advertisement