Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training an Adult dog

Options
  • 12-10-2009 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a dog, shes about 6 years old now and Im hoping that I can toilet train her. First I have to find a place that will let me bring my doggy in.
    Anyone have any recommendations or does anyone think that because of her age shes likely to not mess in the house?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Training an adult is essentially the same as training a puppy - bring them out every hour (but with an adult you could prob stretch this to 2/2.5 hours) and masses of praise when they go outside. If you find pee in the house, clean it up with an enzyme cleaner to prevent her going there again. And if you catch her going in the house, give out (firm "no") and put her outside while you clean it up. I have toilet trained a few adults and I personally think they get it much faster than pups do. Try to supervise her at all times (pain in the ass, I know) so that you can read when she needs to go out. After a while when she is going outside regularly, start saying a command while she is going and when praising her use this command (e.g. "go toilet", "good girl, good toilet"), the neighbours will think you are mad but it works - eventually, when you put her out to go to the toilet she'll go on command.

Good luck!

Advertisement