Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin: Sundays 6pm pickup game, all welcome!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

11 people tonight, good game, lots of running. Hall is booked for next Sunday 6pm again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Anything going on this Friday evening, pick-up game wise?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lillylalogue

hi i have only just joined the board. i don't suppose you have a basketball group on the northside? One of the first messages mentioned fairview or collins ave. ringsend is a bit far to go. thanks in advance for any info.

Hi lilly, as far as I know there's no casual game on the north side at the moment. We used to have a game in DCU last summer but the hall got booked out once the college returned.

18 people for last nights game!
    The roller hockey game that is usually on after us wasn't on so we played for a second hour and I'm hurting today.

Hall booked again for 6pm next Sunday the 30th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

great stuff, glad to see big numbers!
    will make a appearance again soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Lafortezza wrote: »
    18 people for last nights game!
    The roller hockey game that is usually on after us wasn't on so we played for a second hour and I'm hurting today.

Hall booked again for 6pm next Sunday the 30th.

I know your pain dude, am fairly sore today as well, good game though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 willokans2011

Hi,
    Only just signed you to boards.ie today. I did play while in college until and would really love to get back to it. where and when is your next game?

Hi,
    Only just signed you to boards.ie today. I did play while in college until and would really love to get back to it. where and when is your next game?

every Sunday at 6. game on next sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Hi,
    every Sunday at 6. game on next sunday

... at Sportsco in Ringsend.

18 must be some sort of new record! Hope to make it down again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 willokans2011

Thanks for the reply Guys, Will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

Hi,

Snap... is anyone welcome? Whats the standard like? I played in school but haven't really played for 6 or 7 years now.

mc_grens wrote: »
    Snap... is anyone welcome? Whats the standard like? I played in school but haven't really played for 6 or 7 years now.

All standerds and level of fitness there, everyone welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

Vinnie K wrote: »
    All standerds and level of fitness there, everyone welcome!

Cool. I wont make it this Sunday but I should be able to make it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Came for the first time today with my two friends, was a lot higher standard than I was expecting but that can only improve my game I guess :) Also good to see it wasn't too serious but still a good game.

I know the three of us coming didn't help the numbers, it was a tad overcrowded I guess :o but I think that court is a bit on the small size length wise anyway, or is it?

Court seems very expensive for what it is, with the walls so close to the end lines and I was dying to play on for longer myself. We should be able to make it next Sunday again but after that the next time will be 6th of March I can play as I work most Sunday's :(

There was mention of maybe looking into a new venue and booking for 2 hours? The only venues I have experience with are Shoreline in Greystones which is a good court but only open till 6 on Sunday's, then there is a community hall with a good enough court in Bray which is only €25 per hour, I'm not sure what their schedule is like for Sunday but perhaps 2 hours could be arranged. Although I think these are probably way too far for most? We can travel wherever the game is anyway :)

It was another good turnout last night, think we got above 20 people turning up.
    It is booked for next week again at 6pm, although the people at the front desk have a bit of a problem with how we are booking the hall (nobody is a member of the gym), and the rate we have been paying over the last few weeks. They will be contacting Vinnie during the week but I have a feeling they might bump up the hourly rate which would suck.

Bump up the price from €70?? Jebus! Have they given a reason for this? Numbers = insurance risk etc maybe?

Rang that place in Bray, it's 25eur ph and free pretty much all Sunday, could even play for 3 hours :D Only thing is whoever books it needs public liability insurance for the whole group which I think is about 200eur a year. Of course Bray is probably way too far for most people but maybe there's a similar type set up elsewhere?

cormie wrote: »
    Bump up the price from €70?? Jebus! Have they given a reason for this? Numbers = insurance risk etc maybe?

Rang that place in Bray, it's 25eur ph and free pretty much all Sunday, could even play for 3 hours :D Only thing is whoever books it needs public liability insurance for the whole group which I think is about 200eur a year. Of course Bray is probably way too far for most people but maybe there's a similar type set up elsewhere?

It was 70 an hour because one of the girls that used to come down was a member, so we got member rate but she wont be down again for another while so they were saying that they might have to charge us non member rate. Ill post here once they ring me anyway.

Vinnie K wrote: »
    It was 70 an hour because one of the girls that used to come down was a member, so we got member rate but she wont be down again for another while so they were saying that they might have to charge us non member rate. Ill post here once they ring me anyway.

sounds like they see more people showing up so they are bumping up the price Accordingly

Just to throw another place into the equation, Firhouse Community Centre is free on Sunday's from 6pm aswell and is I think he said 45euro for the hour but they'd let you play on as there's usually nobody there and there's a bar there and the bar men would close up. Possibility we'd just be let alone until we're all to tired to continue :P Not too sure if that's too far again as I haven't a clue where most of you are based? :)

The woman to talk to about (block) bookings will be there from 6-10 tonight and he said it could be cheaper with block bookings.

http://connect.southdublin.ie/fclc/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=3

EDIT: Just to note, I tried Clogher Road CC in Crumlin too but they are getting work done so only half court available for next few weeks and they close at 4pm on Sunday.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Just to throw another place into the equation, Firhouse Community Centre is free on Sunday's from 6pm aswell and is I think he said 45euro for the hour but they'd let you play on as there's usually nobody there and there's a bar there and the bar men would close up. Possibility we'd just be let alone until we're all to tired to continue :P Not too sure if that's too far again as I haven't a clue where most of you are based? :)

The woman to talk to about (block) bookings will be there from 6-10 tonight and he said it could be cheaper with block bookings.

http://connect.southdublin.ie/fclc/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=3

EDIT: Just to note, I tried Clogher Road CC in Crumlin too but they are getting work done so only half court available for next few weeks and they close at 4pm on Sunday.

Thanks cormie! I played there once last year and have been thinking about it but couldnt remember where it was or the name of it, not a bad court, similar to Sportsco.
    If they keep the price at 70 for Sportsco we'll just stay there i think as the location seems good for everyone.. But there could be a possibility for another game anyway.

Yeah Sportsco is a great location alright, the price and the short time is the only drawback. I can't even make most Sunday's myself but would love to have a game to go to the Sunday's I'm free.

Just using this post as my notepad, 0871236034 - Claire Thompson 50eur per hour.

She's in the Kilnamanagh community centre and would be available Sunday's 6-8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 graham27

Hi all,

I am looking to get back into basketball I use to play when I was in my teens. Was just reading through the threads and was hoping I could get involved in a game.

I also live in Kilnamanagh so if a game needed organising there I could help with that as I am member of the community centre.

Feel free to PM

Thanks

Graham

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

If there are any games going in the Rathfarnham area I'd love to join.
    Haven't played since my teens also and not as fit as I used to be so very amateur to say the least but would love to get a game going with a few heads for a bit of craic.

Heard from Sportsco and there keeping the rate the same.

Game on at 6pm this Sunday 6th!!!!!!!!

what kinda of turn out are we expecting this Sunday?

what kinda of turn out are we expecting this Sunday?

Dont know man, there was 19 last Sunday and 18 the week before! We had 2 half court games last Sunday so we'll do that again if the numbers are around the same, you coming down?

not 100% about this weekend, but aiming to get back playing regular.

got a Pm from a guy looking for info on, and he'll head along this Sun.

• Advertisement

Will be there on Sunday myself possibly with one or two more again, thanks for updating Vinnie!

Advertisement