Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem after XP reinstallation

• 12-10-2009 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭

Hi

I reinstalled Windows XP a couple of days ago and have had a small problem with computer since.
    When I try to disconnect a memory key or external HD it tells me that it cannot be removed - the device cannot be stopped.
    I know this is a common issue but..............its always Explorer.exe that is accessing the drives. I installed a small program called Unlocker and this is telling me that its explorer.exe that is accessing the external drives.
    I have up to date Microsoft Updates and use Kaspersky Antivirus 2010, which shows up no trojans/virus etc
    Does anyone know any reason why Explorer.exe is constantly accessing the drives and is there a fix??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I often find it takes several attempts to 'safely remove' an external disk. Make sure no explorer windows are open focused on a folder in the drive in question, also no command-prompt windows have the current directory in that drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Are you sure that Windows isnt installed to Removable Drive\%Systemroot% :-)

Seriously though, why did you reinstall item, were there similar issues that caused you to reinstall? Explorer.exe can have errors if it has trouble reading the hard drive or any drive. My old hard drive used to bring up Explorer.exe errors the whole time, which would cause the taskbar and all explorer.exe windows to disappear. (Which could be returned by opening up Task Manager and File|New Task (Run)| explorer.exe)

Are you sure that there is nothing wrong with the computer hard drive or the USB hard drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Are you sure that Windows isnt installed to Removable Drive\%Systemroot% :-)

Seriously though, why did you reinstall item, were there similar issues that caused you to reinstall? Explorer.exe can have errors if it has trouble reading the hard drive or any drive. My old hard drive used to bring up Explorer.exe errors the whole time, which would cause the taskbar and all explorer.exe windows to disappear. (Which could be returned by opening up Task Manager and File|New Task (Run)| explorer.exe)

Are you sure that there is nothing wrong with the computer hard drive or the USB hard drive?

Hi Jonathan
    No never had the issue before. Hard drives all fine. Fixed the issue last night. Just did another reinstall!! Everything is working grand again and that issue isn't there anymore. I still don;t know what was causing it and have found no answers on internet

Advertisement