Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another rent relief question

Options
  • 12-10-2009 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi guy's,

Quick question regarding calculating rent relief.

My wife and I both earn in the 42% bracket.
    We've paid rent of 1300 for the last year.
    Can come one give me an estimate of what we'd be entitled to with regard to rent relief?

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭yan

400 euros between you if you are married 400 euros each if you are not!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

what ? only half coz we're married - yet another reason I was right about staying single :D

Thanks for the help.
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 samsung22

The rent relief for a single person can be claimed up to a limit of €2000 per year at a rate of 20% i.e. you can claim relief of 400 per year.

For a married couple assessed on a joint basis the limit rises to €4000 i.e. 800 can be claimed in rent relief.

In your case it appears that you can claim relief of 20% of 1300 which is 260 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

samsung22 wrote: »
    The rent relief for a single person can be claimed up to a limit of €2000 per year at a rate of 20% i.e. you can claim relief of 400 per year.

For a married couple assessed on a joint basis the limit rises to €4000 i.e. 800 can be claimed in rent relief.

In your case it appears that you can claim relief of 20% of 1300 which is 260 euro.

I imagine he's paying that monthly, so will get the full amount when worked out over the year, which is 400 each, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 samsung22

Correct.

• Advertisement
Advertisement