Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spending money for 2.5week USA holiday?

• 12-10-2009 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and the boyfriend are heading to San Francisco-->San Deigo-->Las Vegas for 2 and a half weeks later this month.

He has gotton a credit card for this and we have loaded our holiday savings onto it. Just wondering how much cash we should bring? I know you can use your card for most things there but we will need cash for tipping, soft drinks, trolly fair etc.

Any advice would be appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Bring enough cash for a taxi from the airport to your hotel. You can then use the CC to take out lump sums as you travel around. I usually have $100 cash or so on me but try to use the card as often as possible for charges higher than $50 (btw you can often use a CC to pay for a restaurant bill and include the tipp rather than paying cash)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Realistically about €1.5k each before hotels and any 'extras' such as show tickets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Overall average should be $200-250 per day between you both, that's if you intend on taking a couple of tours in Vegas and eating out for each meal. so $3000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Thanks guys!

We have all our hotels, shows, flights, park entries etc paid for already and about 1.5k each to bring with us...was thinking we should bring about $500 each of that in cash and leave rest on the credit card??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I'd go ahead and get some cash fairly soon too, the exchange rate is pretty decent at the moment. If the Czechs stall Lisbon this could change!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

giddybootz wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

We have all our hotels, shows, flights, park entries etc paid for already and about 1.5k each to bring with us...was thinking we should bring about $500 each of that in cash and leave rest on the credit card??

There is no need to actually bring dollars with you if you don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

giddybootz wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

You'll find yourself swiping for everything over there tbh, and I mean everything....
    I find the only cash I ever need is singles for tipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think $500 should be plenty. All you want is enough to tip and buy small items like water. Save your singles for tipping, nothing worse than having no small notes for tips and either having to tip too much or not at all!

Advertisement