Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten in a Cast

Options
  • 12-10-2009 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,

On thurs just gone my lil fella decided to do a half assed jump from a height which resulted in a fractured paw. He has to wear a cast for 4 weeks and a collar but as he is soo young it is killing him that he cant play with his sis. He looks soo sad and is just dragging himself along the floor from one side of the apartment to the other like he cant get comfy.

He is trying his best to play but as the collar is soo big he just gets fed up and puts on his sad face then curls up and goes to sleep.

I know sleep is the best thing for him but we will have to leave him alone with his sis tomorrow cos both me and bf il be back in work and I just wonder is their anyone that has any tips or tricks to help him feel better or anything we can do to make him a bit more comfy.

We have most of the floor covered in pillows and blankeys all the stuff he normally loves but he keeps trying to get higher but when you put him up on where he wants he then tries to get down hes soo all over the camp.

His sis is practically bouncing off the walls to cos she has no one to play with, even though they have soo many toys they normally would be playing and chasing etc all day. We don't want to seperate them though as they are soo close and when we tried the cries where heart breaking. She isnt interested in his cast just more cleaning him and cuddling up to snooze with him but just a bit worried what she will be like with him for so long when he cant play to.

Any ideas or suggestions are more then welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Kyri, what does he have to have the collar on for? To ensure he leaves the cast alone? Try him without the collar on supervised plays and see if he'll leave the cast alone. Correct him when and if he goes to pull at the cast. Look at other ways to cover the cast only (fabric etc to stop him licking it). You may be able to work it that he just has to wear the collar while unsupervised, or even best case he can leave it off altogether.

In the short term, restricting his mobility is best for him as it will help the initial healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

Bit afraid to take it off as i'm not sure he will let us put it back on but the poor thing looks so miserable I don't think I have the heart to make him wear it all the time either.

Might get the bf to help me tag team him if he isn't too happy getting it back on.

Thanks hun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye - just regarding the cone, my dog had a cone on her when her paw was all wrapped up and she'd go for her paw, but we did as the Sweeper said, supervised play time without it, so she can have a break, and give out to her if she goes for her paw, it worked out ok. We just put it on when we weren't around etc. and that way she got a break from having the cone on.

good luck with your lil cat :)

Advertisement