Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can we drive in bus lanes

• 12-10-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Has anyone ever be pulled by the Guards for driving in a bus lane? Whats the law on motorbikes in bus lanes. Now that I'm doing it twice a day I'd like to know how risky it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

i'd imagine its illegal,same as it is for a car to use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Bus lanes are reserved for buses taxis and bicycles

here ya go

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/bus-cycle-lanes-luas.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

It's illegal, but it's not really enforced, at least I've never heard of a biker getting done for it. Just don't be taking the piss and going silly speeds etc and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Realistically they don't pull you over. I do it daily and often pull up behind or have a garda car stop behind me at lights and never had a problem.

Technically though they could pull you over for it.

Just take it easy and dont drive dangerously and you should be ok. Biggest concern is how your insurance would work if you had an accident in a bus lane. Technically you would be at fault. not sure how that would work if you needed to claim. Most Gardai know it's safer to have us in the bus lane though. I do be a bit worried over xmas when all the noob recruits are out on the road during operation freeflow looking to hand out their first ticket but apart from that you shouldn't have any bother from the gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

The Gardaí have been seen to actively encourage bikers to use the bus lanes on my route (N3 in to city centre). It's the safest place for us.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    The Gardaí have been seen to actively encourage bikers to use the bus lanes on my route (N3 in to city centre). It's the safest place for us.

+1 and it's not like there's any real chance of us holding up a taxi / bus in fairness ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

passed guards loads of times (when they've being pulling cars) without issues - have even been waved on a couple of times. Just don't take the P by speeding down the lane and you should be ok! - give cyclists plenty of room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

No problem doing it, just use sense. Don't floor it past stopped or slow moving traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Was pulled in a bus lane for my English plate (converted now). Was raining lightly too. Bike guard said "Do you know why I've pulled you over.." Then he gave his reason and said "I've no problem with you using the bus lane, and especially in this weather".

As per others, don't abuse the fact that the guards turn a blind eye to it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Well what do you know?? I got busted and ended up in court for 'riding in a bus lane' shortly after they were introduced in the early 80's Smart copper was hiding behind a tree on Northumberland Road and pounced on me :eek:. Had all the documents - insurance/licence and the bike was taxed so I thought I'd get the auld word in the ear. Couple of months later a summons arrives and I'm up before the Judge. He asks if I had all the nessessary and the copper nods in agreement, Judge didn't like that and dismisses the case before letting the [young] copper know how he wasn't going to be impressed for wasting his court time :D

Seems the copper was on a roll that day as he pulled in another three bikers while jotting down my details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bus lanes are grand for bikers until theres an accident, ie pedestrian J walking or stupid cyclist weaving in and out of traffic into the lane then thats when the trouble starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,451 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

clown bag wrote: »
    Biggest concern is how your insurance would work if you had an accident in a bus lane. Technically you would be at fault.

No, you wouldn't, not unless you were at fault anyway.

You're not allowed run down a pedestrian just because they were jaywalking, similarly a car driver isn't allowed drive into a biker in a bus lane just because they 'should not have been there'. After all, if they can't see or hear a motorcycle how are they going to see or hear a cyclist? Clearly they would be driving without due care or attention.

There was a case of this sort that went all the way to the courts a few years ago, the cager was clearly at fault but his insurance co. were trying to use the bus lane excuse to get out of it, judge awarded the biker 80% compensation instead of 100%. Harsh, if anything, I thought...

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement