Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy horsebox!

Options
  • 12-10-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Can any tell me some stockists of Ifor Williams boxes, new or secondhand, or is anyone selling one?

Im looking for a newer model with aluminum floor, not wooden, to fit 2 horses up to 16.3hh.

I havent bought one before so any tips very welcome!

Also whats the general opinion on the Coachbuilt Regent Duo's and the general price for a secondhand one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Not sure where you're based, but you could always try Westwood in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

What part of the country are you in?

A good place to look for second hand boxes is donedeal.ie and Farmers Journal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 elaine13

im in dublin, just had a look on the westwood website, have some good choices there, might follow it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

from what i have heard the new model ifor williams are not half as good as the older models, even the "classic" model they brought out towards the end of production of the old m odel, were not really as durable as standard models. My advice would be tro search around and price around alot, as if you were buying a car, and haggle too, horsebolxes are not shifting at all, i picked up an ifor 505 for a friend, in perfect nick(front ramp never even used!) for 2,000 euro, horseboxes are not shifting at all really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

www.donedeal.ie is awash with Horsebox's!
    I'd haggle hard - there seems to be loads out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

For horses of 16h3in a 505 is getting a bit tight. A 510 is roomy for big horses of 16h3in-17h3in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

a good 510 will be hard to come by. theres been posts on that before - i think i started it actually!

anyway i'd definitly agree with the others - donedeal would by my first stop, i don't like the buyandsell but some do, websites papers etc.

Westwood is in Naas, Kilkenny, there's others aswell but i think they'd rip you off.

If you had cash now you could get a box for any price. DEFINTLY BARGAIN WTIH THEM - take advantage of the recession!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

Wicked wrote: »

Westwood is in Naas, Kilkenny, there's others aswell but i think they'd rip you off.

naas is in kildare, and they are probably the most expensive place to go, as they not have many second boxes, and the ones they do have usually near new, everything else is brand new so you'll be paying top price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

skink wrote: »
    naas is in kildare, and they are probably the most expensive place to go.

Please think about what you're about to write. Remember, when your writing you can't always be sure that someone will interpret your post in the manner in which you mean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

please make sure its not a robbed box.if your buying second hand.

• Advertisement

please make sure its not a robbed box.if your buying second hand.

good advice this...the best actually.

yeah but how do you know if a box is robbed? chasis number?

also i meant naas and Kilkenny, i didn't mean that naas was in kilkenny.

Yes, Chassis no.

and if its been grinded off, you can be sure its hot.

so say the chasis isn't grinded off, could be a UK import? how do you know then?

**I'd just like to make a note here straight off that i totally agree with everything you are all saying, and i'm not a box thief!! its just very hard to know weather a box is hot or not imo, and i think its a great idea to highlight how to find out.******

Ring Ifor Williams to see where the box was sold.
    Then, contact the gardai to see if its of interest to them.

ok, so i ring up ifor williams in ireland and they tell me that box was sold in say, I dunno, London. so i'm very dedicated and i ring up ifor williams in london and they tell me the box was sold,

then i ring the gardai and i say i have a box that was originally sold in london has it been stolen and is it of any interest to you.

do they ring the police in london and find out?

lets say they do, so pat in the local garda station rings up jerry in london and he says yes the box has been stolen. then pat rings me and says that box has been stolen.

now i've just paid 4000 for this box, what happens? do i loose out? who gets the box?

Wicked wrote: »
    ok, so i ring up ifor williams in ireland and they tell me that box was sold in say, I dunno, London. so i'm very dedicated and i ring up ifor williams in london and they tell me the box was sold,

then i ring the gardai and i say i have a box that was originally sold in london has it been stolen and is it of any interest to you.

do they ring the police in london and find out?

lets say they do, so pat in the local garda station rings up jerry in london and he says yes the box has been stolen. then pat rings me and says that box has been stolen.

now i've just paid 4000 for this box, what happens? do i loose out? who gets the box?

Yes, you'd loose out, and the box would be returned to it rightful and former possessor/owner - works the same ways as car ownership.

The way to make sure you have bought a proper box with good providence, is to buy from an owner who has an original bill of sale from a main dealer they bought it from.

thats'a big mad isn't it.

i think alot of boxes are chipped now to aren't they, so thats a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

hi i don't want to be a downer on this web page. but its a good idea to have a secure place to keep your new box in a shed or at least out of sight of the road

hi i don't want to be a downer on this web page. but its a good idea to have a secure place to keep your new box in a shed or at least out of sight of the road

true, and a good hitch lock.:pac:

• Advertisement

i keep mine in a shed and clamped. i don't have the key for locking it, is it possible to get a new key?

Advertisement