Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DB 1394 / 1490 - any major failings?

• 12-10-2009 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I need to get a new tractor, and am looking at a DB 1394 or 1490.

I know there have also been numerous posts around what to look for when getting a tractor, so I wont ask this again.

I wanted to ask about these tractors - what are they like? Anything to watch out for on them?
    Any specific trouble areas to check?
    The ones I am looking at have a standard gearbox - which is better as I hear as hydrashift can give trouble...? Is this true?

Also - any idea on price? They seem to range from about 3k to 7k looking about, but whats a good fair price for em like?

Just wanted to pick peoples brains on em.

I guess its like anything - where good ones are good, and bad ones are sh'te... But I wanted to see if there was any major failings in em, cos I dont know that much about DBs to be honest.

Appreciate any help ye could offer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

The engines are known for being a weak point on 4 cyl DBs, the crankshafts have a tendency to snap and frost damage to the engine water galleries is common too.
    Classic tractor magazine did a buyers guide on these a few years ago if you could get a copy as a back issue it would have all the info.

Or have a look here: http://www.dbtc.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 8 blacksmokebilly

Contact any DB Dealer and they can send you out the specs. You can ask what has caused issues previously and they may explain fixes. I had one a long time back and had no bother, it's all about oil changes.

Advertisement