Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air pistol licence.

Options
  • 12-10-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this sounds silly or ignorant. But I know nothing about gun licensing in Ireland.

I'm moving back to Ireland soon and I currently have a nice air pistol that I'd like to bring with me.

The power is 7.5 joules which is way over the legal limit for an unlicensed gun. Here in Germany I don't require a licence for it at all.

My question is, would it be hard to licence it in Ireland ? and what's the penalty for holding this unlicensed ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

KTRIC wrote: »
    Apologies if this sounds silly or ignorant. But I know nothing about gun licensing in Ireland.

I'm moving back to Ireland soon and I currently have a nice air pistol that I'd like to bring with me.

The power is 7.5 joules which is way over the legal limit for an unlicensed gun. Here in Germany I don't require a licence for it at all.

My question is, would it be hard to licence it in Ireland ? and what's the penalty for holding this unlicensed ?

Airguns rifles/pistols are classed as firearms here believe it or not.
    under our new oppressive gun laws you will have to apply for a firearms certificate and also be a member of a rifle/pistol range.
    you will only be allowed a licence under those conditions and use the air pistol for target use only as a competition gun.
    if you are not that big into shooting and competing you should leave the gun in Germany.

sorry for busting your bubble but thats the way it is here and none of us like it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It wouldn't be hard to licence depending on what you consider 'hard'. As said previously you need to be a member of a target shooting club with a 10m range (there are a few) and you'd need a safe to store it in.

Holding it unlicensed would be a serious offence. Not something you want to explore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

As said previously an air pistol is regarded as a firearm in Ireland so having one without a licence would be very serious indeed,you be be faced with possesion of an illegal firearm and treated the same as if you had an ak47.
    You would have to leave it in Germany and then apply for a licence and import licence for same if you really want to keep it.
    Then you must concider where in ireland you will be living and find out how close the nearest range is,,hardly worth driving long distance to the range unless you are serious about shooting and competition.

COST the new licence here is for 3 years and costs 80 euros
    range fees can cost a few hundred also

another thing is that the non restriced list here only applies to air pistols of .177 calibre target guns and makes no mention of .22 .25 calibre so anything above .177 might be restricted.

I know this all sound silly (IT IS) but thats what we are stuck with.

Other option would be to sell the pistol to someone in Ireland, such as the club where you are going. Then buy it back after you have lived here for more then 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Thanks guys. I reckon I'll just leave it here with the ex. She can use it to kill all the bunnies she's going to boil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Thanks guys. I reckon I'll just leave it here with the ex. She can use it to kill all the bunnies she's going to boil.

Ouch! :D

Advertisement