Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed: want to purchase a cheap domain and host own basic website

• 12-10-2009 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Hey all, while I'm pretty decent at comp related stuff generally, I haven't a clue about how to go about getting a domain and what software to use to actually put the website up (I want to use it to showcase some of my work). So can anyone recommend the best prefix to go for when aiming at an Irish audience (e.g. - .ie, .eu, . info or .com etc.), where I can reliably apply for one, and software I can use that provided templates making the process easier?

Someone recommended a crowd called Gimdo (I think) but I can't find any info on them. All help appreciated:o

edit: When I say prefix, what I mean is which one would you feel is more trustworthy/appealing to you as an Irish individual or does it matter at all? It will use my full name so it might be ' www.joeblogs.info' or 'www.joeblogs.ie' etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Blacknight are pretty amazing. They won't give you a template to make the site, but you can get those online easily anyway. They'll give you a domain (.com, .net, .ie) and hosting for a very reasonable price.

.ie is more expensive than .com or .net or whatever. I'd stick to .ie or .com however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

snappieT wrote: »
    Blacknight are pretty amazing. They won't give you a template to make the site, but you can get those online easily anyway. They'll give you a domain (.com, .net, .ie) and hosting for a very reasonable price.

.ie is more expensive than .com or .net or whatever. I'd stick to .ie or .com however.

.com is a no-go as name in all formats is taken :(. .ie is working out at 30 for 1 year which is fine. You say hosting, what do you mean? As in to allow me to put content up on site? Sorry a dense question probably.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ok, what you need is

1. somewhere to host the site,
    2. a domain for the site.

a .ie domain is tricky to get, unless its your name or a registered business you own. eg, i couldnt register mcdonalds.ie because my name isnt mcdonald or i dont own mcdonalds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

You can usually buy a domain and hosting together in a package so it's all setup automatically.

We use LetsHost here in work but I've heard of Blacknight.

Buying everything from same place and at same time is the easiest but maybe not the cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

You will find lots of really cheap hosts on www.webhostingtalk.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement