Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 return of the hidden planet?

• 12-10-2009 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

What do people think about this? do you believe theres another planet(nibru) that nasa aint telling us about so as not to panic people? for those that dnt know the story, this planet was said to have spread life on earth and its going to cross between the earth and the sun in 2012.

Personally speaking dont really believe it meself but im fascinated by the stories of nibru, the connection between the pyramids and stonehendge etc.i do think something big is been covered up by world governments regarding 2012 but its really worth reading about, interesting stuff.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNZ8mu08RBk

dnt watch if easily scared:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

• Registered Users Posts: 25,239 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

been said before but: if there was a planet like nibiru only 3 years away it would be the brightest object in the sky right after the moon.

There is nothing in Babylonian or Mesopotamian mythology that indicates Nibiru is predicted to destroy the Earth. In fact all the records of the era's astronomy identify Nibiru as either Mercury or Jupiter.

There is nothing in any other mytholgy of the time that corresponds with the actual Nibiru or the nonexistant one destined to destroy the eath.

The Mayans (or any other ancient civilization)never said 2012 was the end of the world, that's a modern invention.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091011/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_apocalypse2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

major bill wrote: »
    What do people think about this? do you believe theres another planet(nibru) that nasa aint telling us about so as not to panic people? for those that dnt know the story, this planet was said to have spread life on earth and its going to cross between the earth and the sun in 2012.

Personally speaking dont really believe it meself but im fascinated by the stories of nibru, the connection between the pyramids and stonehendge etc.i do think something big is been covered up by world governments regarding 2012 but its really worth reading about, interesting stuff.

If there were a planet only 3 years away any amateur astronomer would have easily seen it at this stage. The 2012 thing is a bit a of a joke really by some people as an excuse to sell books etc. Complete nonsense but wait for the 2012 crowd to create a new date for the end of the world when the 1st Jan 2013 dawns!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

I remember seeing on someone's sig (not on boards) that planet X should be visible to the human eye on 9th March 2009. Looks like that didn't happen.

As said above it seems highly unlikely that the appearance of this planet would be missed if it was so close, with all the amateur astronomers out there.

Would love something exciting like this to be spotted but with something that is so easily measurable this particular theory doesn't have more credence.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

biggest load of rubbish since some guy on tv said that microwave would stop working at midnight 2000.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The 2012 thing is a bit a of a joke really by some people as an excuse to sell books etc.

http://www.whowillsurvive2012.com/

Nah that's them capitalising on hype that was already there.
    The 2012 nonsense has been around for a while.

King Mob wrote: »
    The 2012 nonsense has been around for a while.
    Which part of the 2012 subject do you find to be nonsensical? I appreciate that there is a lot of pseudo-science associated with it but I believe there to be certain aspects that are factual, provable and measurable. I'd be interested to know what parts of it are nonsense or are you branding it all with a graceful stroke of your brush?

Nick

Which part of the 2012 subject do you find to be nonsensical? I appreciate that there is a lot of pseudo-science associated with it but I believe there to be certain aspects that are factual, provable and measurable. I'd be interested to know what parts of it are nonsense or are you branding it all with a graceful stroke of your brush?

Nick
    Well pretty much all of it is nonsense.

But if I had to pick one I'd go with the fact that no ancient civilisation predicted anything for that date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

I appreciate that there is a lot of pseudo-science associated with it but I believe there to be certain aspects that are factual, provable and measurable.

So telling the future is measurable and factual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

But if I had to pick one I'd go with the fact that no ancient civilisation predicted anything for that date.

Do you take part in astronomy at all for a hobby ?

Do you take part in astronomy at all for a hobby ?
    I do actually.

Why do you ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

I'm scared. Should I be donning my tinfoil hat or will it just burn up in the earths atmosphere and end up no bigger than a chihauhua's head?

You seem fairly knowledgeable enough about it.I'm into it myself, I use a 10" dob and I haven't seen planet"X" yet.But then that's not to say it doesn't exist.

You seem fairly knowledgeable enough about it.I'm into it myself, I use a 10" dob and I haven't seen planet"X" yet.But then that's not to say it doesn't exist.

And I bet you've never seen a unicorn either.

If there was a planet X it would be obvious to any amateur astronomer.
    Yet no pictures or any evidence exist.

And then there's no connection between planet X and Mayan calendars.

It might exist, but then so might unicorns.

I think your taking this a little bit too serious altogether.
    Nothing is set in stone or certain when it comes to the universe and our understanding of that.

Take for example India a few weeks ago coming out with the news that the moon has water.Who would have known?India also found out a lot more about the moon and will hopeful make that public in the near future.
    Keep an open mind king mob it's good for you!

I think your taking this a little bit too serious altogether.
    Nothing is set in stone or certain when it comes to the universe and our understanding of that.

Take for example India a few weeks ago coming out with the news that the moon has water.Who would have known?India also found out a lot more about the moon and will hopeful make that public in the near future.
    Keep an open mind king mob it's good for you!

I do keep an open mind, but I don't ignore the facts.

It's been theorised that there was ice and water on the moon, and this was backed up by good reasoning, that's why they spent all that money on a probe to detect water.

However there is no good reasoning or evidence to support the existence of planet X.

Like wise there is nothing to suggest that it will end the world in 2012.

And the facts are that the Mayans never predicted the world will end in2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭claireloopy

baza1976 wrote: »
    biggest load of rubbish since some guy on tv said that microwave would stop working at midnight 2000.......

ha :P

So telling the future is measurable and factual?
    Well to a degree, yes, but not in the way people would typically expect. Given the fractal and recursive nature of reality, patterns within patterns. Most biological systems are fractal, including time. The very foundations of creation are based on recursive mathematics. The rescusion simply extends out from the very small to the very large.

A quick overview of history clearly reveals repetition and cycles.

The three known radii of hydrogen are a perfect multiple of phi times the planck length (to within about 1/1000 accuracy).
    The same goes for planetary periods as well as many scales in between the two. Now this is obviously measurable.

So we have a reality that self-references itself at every stage (i.e. fractal implosion courtesy of phi). It's no leap to imagine the emergent behavior of the system would then be self-referencing, fractal and, thusly, cyclic.

In this way prediction of system behaviour is like predicting the position of the Earth about the Sun at a certain future date. I believe certain ancient civilisations had an ability to see these patterns and made predictions based on it.

Given the nature of fractaility it just requires the imagination to view the system at different scales to see the behavior repeated.

Nick

• Advertisement

I'm curious as to what you think about the Mayan cyclical calendar?

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Well its was a 50/50 guess if theres water on the moon, its either yes or no. And when will these other results be made public? It wouldnt be after the results from the LCROSS mission are known would it?

Nick

They ran out of space on their brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

i dont belive the world is just going to end mabey a collapse of a civil world

Anything yet?

A quick overview of history clearly reveals repetition and cycles.
    Really? When was the last time we had instantaneous world wide communication?
    Or nuclear weapons?
    The three known radii of hydrogen are a perfect multiple of phi times the planck length (to within about 1/1000 accuracy).

The raduis of a hydrogen Atom is
    R = r0A^1 / 3
    where:

A = Atomic mass number [number of protons (Z) plus number of neutrons (N)] = 1 + 0 = 1 (in a hydrogen atom)

r0 = 1.25 x 10^-15 meters

R = (1.25 x 10^-15) (1)^1/3 = 4.16666667 × 10^-16 m

The planck length times phi = 1.616252×10^−35 x 1.61803399 =

2.61515067240548 x 10^-35m

Now my maths ain't great but 2.61515067240548 x 10^-35m don't equal 4.16666667 × 10^-16 m.
    They're a couple of orders of magnitude off.

The same goes for planetary periods as well as many scales in between the two.
    Which planetary periods?
    Are you talking about their orbits?
    Now this is obviously measurable.
    Not really because the golden ratio is a perfect example of selection bias. You may hear of the all the things that fall close to the golden ratio but never about the things that don't.

And many things that are claimed to be an example of the golden ratio turn out not to be an example of it.
    So we have a reality that self-references itself at every stage (i.e. fractal implosion courtesy of phi). It's no leap to imagine the emergent behavior of the system would then be self-referencing, fractal and, thusly, cyclic.
    That's a bit of a leap there.
    How does phi mean the universe is fractal?

In fact Pi occurs much more often and is a much more important concept than phi is.

But one number does not a fractal make.
    In this way prediction of system behaviour is like predicting the position of the Earth about the Sun at a certain future date. I believe certain ancient civilisations had an ability to see these patterns and made predictions based on it.
    But the Mayans never saw the Europeans coming, or made any prediction for anything in fact.
    Can you provide a single example of anything any ancient culture accurately predicted?
    Given the nature of fractaility it just requires the imagination to view the system at different scales to see the behavior repeated.

Nick
    The motion of the plants and sun are the same as the politics of America?
    The relationship between the galaxies of the local cluster are the same as the development of technology?
    I don't really follow.

Nick
    You mean the long count calendar? The one that supposedly ends in 2012?

I think, like the actual researchers in Mayan history and the surviving Mayans themselves, that the calendar does not predict the end of the world.

They had dates recorded for events past 2012.
    There is nothing to suggest that 2012 is the end of the calender either.

This modern myth stem from the idea that the Mayans believed we where living in the "Fourth World" and that the previous world ended on a long count of 12.19.19.17.19.
    Another 12.19.19.17.19. occurs in 2012.
    However the Mayans believed that the the previous three worlds were failed attempts at creation by the gods. However this Fouth world was successful and the gods had no plans to destroy it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_Long_Count_calendar#2012_and_the_Long_Count

The whole 2012 world ending thing is a modern invention.
    The Mayans (or any other ancient civilization) predicted the world would end that year.
    The Mayans (or any other ancient civilization) never said anything about a planet X destroying us.

Hence, it is all nonsense.

Well its was a 50/50 guess if theres water on the moon, its either yes or no. And when will these other results be made public? It wouldnt be after the results from the LCROSS mission are known would it?
    India doesn't need to have the lcross results,it was the one who found out there was water on the moon and published that.

So why is it holding back on its other discoverys ?

So why is it holding back on its other discoverys ?
    Well I don't know if you are aware of this or not but in their culture it is normal to believe in a lot of things we don't in the west.The vedic philosophy is very interesting.They will obviously be pressured by other countries to not reveal what they found as it could change our very way of thinking and understanding of everything around us.

• Advertisement

Well I don't know if you are aware of this or not but in their culture it is normal to believe in a lot of things we don't in the west.The vedic philosophy is very interesting.They will obviously be pressured by other countries to not reveal what they found as it could change our very way of thinking and understanding of everything around us.

How would knowing whether or not there's water on the moon change our very way of thinking and understanding of everything around us?

And how do you know that they found "something more"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement