Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rescue shelters (portlaoise)

Options
  • 12-10-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

My aunt is talking about getting a pet, small dog or cat (her husband doesn't want either but she'll get one anyway). Since I got one of my cats from a rescue shelter and rescued the other myself I think it might be a good idea to just go to a shelter and have a look at what they have, maybe not get anything but look and see what she thinks, would she be able to find something which would suit her and she likes.

I know the shelters around my area but, I have no idea of any shelters near her. (portlaoise)

I was thinking an indoor cat would be great for her, she's afraid of it killing 'her birds' (ones that she leaves food out for)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Try the local vets they usually have ads up or know of someone who is looking to rehome a cat or kittens. Also the LSPCA or cottagerescue.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Could your aunt take the cat you are thinking of rehoming? It could be a perfect solution? You'd get to help him settle in and see him as he gets back to himself.

Absolutely none of my business but I think it's a bad idea to bring a pet into a home when everyone is not in agreement. It's not fair on the people who don't want the animal as it's thrust on them, not fair on the people who do want the animal as they will have to do everything for it and hear all about it every time the dog/cat does something wrong and mostly it's not fair on the animal itself who will certainly pick up on the fact one of it's owners dislikes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Could your aunt take the cat you are thinking of rehoming? It could be a perfect solution? You'd get to help him settle in and see him as he gets back to himself.

I have thought of this, they met last sunday and I got him to stop hiding and let her pet him but, both were a little fightened.
    Absolutely none of my business but I think it's a bad idea to bring a pet into a home when everyone is not in agreement. It's not fair on the people who don't want the animal as it's thrust on them, not fair on the people who do want the animal as they will have to do everything for it and hear all about it every time the dog/cat does something wrong and mostly it's not fair on the animal itself who will certainly pick up on the fact one of it's owners dislikes it.

I would agree with you there but he does/says things to be awkward. If my aunt wanted to get a new chair he would argue that the old one is fine (and he would be the one to sit on it roughly and have it callapse under him). If she does get a pet he may not like it but more than likely he'll pretend not to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Orla K wrote: »
    If she does get a pet he may not like it but more than likely he'll pretend not to like it.
    haha, my dad is like that with my sisters dog.

Advertisement