Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum Yellow Card Issue

Options
  • 12-10-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

I have been advised LuckyLloyd (Soccer forum moderator) to post my issue here, hope thats okay.

On 11-10-2009 at 05:54, I received a yellow card infraction from said moderator for the following post:
    You think Im being sarcastic? I was being genuine, I pointed out earlier that Torres came off for Negredo and that I didnt think there was anything wrong with him as he left the pitch, and that it looked purely like a tactical decision. Wise up, or are you still angry about being made look a fool in the Utd thread earlier...

First off, before I make my argument so to speak, to help me understand why I have been given an infraction, was this posted reported by a user(s) or was it LucklyLloyd who decided to take action by himself? Secondly, if it was indeed because a user(s) reported it, had it not been reported, would a moderator have taken action anyway regardless?

I would like to know the above before I continue any further, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The volume of posts in the soccer forum is extremely high as you will no doubt be aware. It simply isn't possible for any individual moderator to read every post added to every thread every day. Hopefully as a team we will achieve decent coverage (though probably less than 100%). As such, I will check through reported posts whenever I'm logged on so that I can hopefully catch the most contentious issues. So, one can say that reporting a post ensures that it is brought to our attention.

However, the simple act of reporting a post does not guarantee that we will take action on it. Often, we will disagree with a user on their contention that the post is a problem. In cases where we decline to take action on a reported post (and in most cases where we do) the moderator concerned will leave a note with the report as to why they decided there was no need to do anything with it.

In terms of post in the forum that are actioned in some way or another, I would guess that around 50 - 60% (this is a pure guess from my perspective) were not reported beforehand. As such, we often see things and take action without waiting for a user to complain.

In this case I can confirm that the post was reported and I read it after viewing the report. However, I can also confirm that I would have actioned the post irrespective of whether it was reported or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The volume of posts in the soccer forum is extremely high as you will no doubt be aware. It simply isn't possible for any individual moderator to read every post added to every thread every day. Hopefully as a team we will achieve decent coverage (though probably less than 100%). As such, I will check through reported posts whenever I'm logged on so that I can hopefully catch the most contentious issues. So, one can say that reporting a post ensures that it is brought to our attention.

However, the simple act of reporting a post does not guarantee that we will take action on it. Often, we will disagree with a user on their contention that the post is a problem. In cases where we decline to take action on a reported post (and in most cases where we do) the moderator concerned will leave a note with the report as to why they decided there was no need to do anything with it.

In terms of post in the forum that are actioned in some way or another, I would guess that around 50 - 60% (this is a pure guess from my perspective) were not reported beforehand. As such, we often see things and take action without waiting for a user to complain.

In this case I can confirm that the post was reported and I read it after viewing the report. However, I can also confirm that I would have actioned the post irrespective of whether it was reported or not.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Can I ask why it took you until 6:00am to issue the yellow card on a post that was made almost 7 hours earlier? Not why it took YOU so long to respond - im not questioning what hour of the day you decide to log onto boards at - but why any of the other mods who were online between those hours took no action?

Also, would I be right in presuming that the post was only reported once by the user in question, rarnes1?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Archimedes wrote: »
    Can I ask why it took you until 6:00am to issue the yellow card on a post that was made almost 7 hours earlier? Not why it took YOU so long to respond - im not questioning what hour of the day you decide to log onto boards at - but why any of the other mods who were online between those hours took no action?

Personally, I was out till late on Saturday night, and was up watching NCAA Football when I got in until 6am. I wasn't really paying attention to boards while watching the games and just decided to take a look at the reported posts before I logged off and went to bed.

As for the rest of the lads, it's a Saturday night - I'm sure they were busy away from their keyboards.
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Also, would I be right in presuming that the post was only reported once by the user in question, rarnes1?

Correct.

Advertisement