Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question after recent car crash

Options
  • 12-10-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for a few past experiences here and as much advice as I can get.

Over the weekend I was involved in a crash which wasnt my fault. One car hit me from behind and spun me around on the road, then another car hit me in the side. Luckily nobody was hurt, but with that out of the way I need to know what way I will be covered etc.

I rang my insurance company and am waiting for them to get back to me. I am with Quinn Direct, with a 3rd Party Fire and Theft policy. My van cost me €3000 this time last year, but like a gob****e I only put €2500 as the value on the policy. I had also spend considerable money getting the van lettered and everything.

The vehicle is my business - and without it I am screwed. I am 4 days without it, and that is already a big problem. I am not sure yet whether the van is a write-off or will just be expensive to fix.

So basically what I need to know is how much will I get back, and if they decide to repair it will it be exactly as I left it or will I have to continue going along with dents or dodgy sign-writing? And if its written-off, what kind of value will I get for it?

I also HAVE to get back on the road ASAP, so what is the situation with getting another van, either hired or borrowed from a friend. Can I change my insurance easily, and if it costs money - who pays for it? The other insurance companies involved are Alianz and Hibernian.

I have worked so hard to get this vehicle and I cant be left screwed because of something that wasn't my fault. Any tips for sorting this out would be greatly appreciated.

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭AMPSound

Got some great advice from a user via PM, and ended up ringing the other parties insurance company. They said that I can go ahead and hire a van for the duration it takes to get me sorted, but as I am under 25 I am finding it very hard to hire a van.

Could a friend lend me a van? And also charge me for it? So that at least we could get something good out of this.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The problem with a friend giving you the van would be the insurance company would need receipts for you to get the money back.
    Do enterprise rent to under 25's?
    If not you will have to ring the insurance company and explain this situation.

No, Hibernian preferred Enterprise, but they wont hire to under 25's. Ended up giong to a local garage and they will do it if I can get their vehicle fully comp on my policy. So my insurance company has done that and the garage had no problem with it. They are also delivering it out to my house this evening for €85 which Hibernian are obviously going to pay.

Hibernian have been great so far - which is the other drivers policy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I may be wrong about this, but if you don't value your asset as high as it is in insurance, you will get that fraction of insurance.

For example, a van worth €3000 valued at €2500 is valued at 83% of it's actual value - therefore you will receive 83% of the compensation.

I don't know if this policy applies to motor insurance, but I have heard of other types of insurance (e.g. home) using this system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The value of your van on YOUR insurance policy has no bearing on what the other guys will pay out if you're TPFT and not claiming through your COMP.

They will offer you the market value of your vehicle. You can then negotiate from there and provide evidence or backing to support a higher value on the vehicle.

• Advertisement

Oh cool. Thanks a bit of good news.

What is TPFT?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

third party fire and theft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

AMPSound wrote: »
    Got some great advice from a user via PM, and ended up ringing the other parties insurance company. They said that I can go ahead and hire a van for the duration it takes to get me sorted/quote]

Ring the other persons insurers again to make sure they are prepared to pay rent for an indefinite period until you are sorted. Usually it is capped at 2-3 weeks worth or hire. If they advise that they are happy to keep going, ask them to drop you an e-mail or something to that effect. Be very careful about this

Ok yeah I better do that. Thanks very much for that bitta advice.

Advertisement