Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change in efficiency?

• 12-10-2009 2:03pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a 05 Saab 93 Vector 1.8i a couple of months ago. At the start I was getting 7.2-7.5l/100km.

That’s now gone up to about 8.4-8.7l/100km over the last couple of weeks or so.

Don’t think my driving style has changed that much and my trips are more or less the same. Only thing that’s changed recently is that I get petrol in Apple Green rather than Tesco

What other things could cause this big change in efficiency?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Check tyre pressure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

She might just need an aul service. Also all engines usually use a little bit more fuel in warm weather, you didnt move to the south of France did you? :D

Saab Ed wrote: »
    She might just need an aul service. Also all engines usually use a little bit more fuel in warm weather, you didnt move to the south of France did you? :D

Judging by his signature pic...no!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tyre pressure could be it.

Will check that next time I get near a forecourt

Any idea what the correct pressure should be?

Its less than 4 months since its last service. Shouldn’t need another one so soon (next scheduled one is about 9k away)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

kearnsr wrote: »
    That’s now gone up to about 8.4-8.7l/100km over the last couple of weeks or so.

Seeing as it's mid-October, with all the schools & colleges back any chance you're fighting you're way through more traffic?
    (Or doing more short trips? school-run??)

Paddy

• Advertisement

Tyre pressure could be it.

Will check that next time I get near a forecourt

Any idea what the correct pressure should be?

Its less than 4 months since its last service. Shouldn’t need another one so soon (next scheduled one is about 9k away)

check the manual or the inside of the drivers door or, the inside of the fuel cap

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

make sure to press the clear button below customise to reset trip computer so you get the current value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    Seeing as it's mid-October, with all the schools & colleges back any chance you're fighting you're way through more traffic?
    (Or doing more short trips? school-run??)

Do you know that sounds like a very logical reason

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I dont drive to work so stuff like schools and what not wouldnt have an impact.

I reset the trip computer every time I top up but this doesnt appear to have any effect on the efficiency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd also take into account that since the mornings over the last couple of weeks have been colder than of late the engine takes longer to warm up an run at peak efficency, this and that the internal heating system is probably on more regularly, could contribute to the noticeable change in fuel economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Also all engines usually use a little bit more fuel in warm weather,
    It's the other way around. They use more in cold weather.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd also take into account that since the mornings over the last couple of weeks have been colder than of late the engine takes longer to warm up an run at peak efficency, this and that the internal heating system is probably on more regularly, could contribute to the noticeable change in fuel economy.

Enginee taking longer to warm up might have something to do with it but I wouldnt have thought it would be that big of a hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I dont drive to work so stuff like schools and what not wouldnt have an impact.

I reset the trip computer every time I top up but this doesnt appear to have any effect on the efficiency

Ahh - sounds like a "long Tem" efficency figue - my yoke (a VW) has a tiny 1 or 2 beside a number of the figures in the trip computer 1 is a short term (this trip) average and 2 is a long term average. There is some complex proceedure (holding buttons for 5 secs) to reset the long term average. But also the long term average re-sets itself from time to time (I'm guessing some buffer fills).

So I'd guess either:
    1. Your efficency is worse than you thought, but it's only showing up now because the previous owner go a lot better figure (over a large distance) so your driving is only effecting the long term average now.
    2. The long term average re-set itself recently and will take a while to "settle down" to the true value.....

Paddy

Put a bit of air into the wheels. Think they may have needed it!

I'll wait and see how this thank goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

also worth sticking some Kataclean injector cleaner in the tank as your injectors may have carboned up a bit with short journeys reducing plume efficiency and thus higher fuel consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

It could be the fuel you are using. I've used their diesel before and had a big loss in mpg and power too.

demag wrote: »
    It could be the fuel you are using. I've used their diesel before and had a big loss in mpg and power too.

Apple Greens or Tescos?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

The apple green stuff, I wouldn't use it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Only thing that’s changed recently is that I get petrol in Apple Green rather than Tesco

Give Esso or Texaco a try for a couple of tanks and see if it makes a difference, I bet it does ;)

Absurdum wrote: »
    Give Esso or Texaco a try for a couple of tanks and see if it makes a difference, I bet it does ;)

On my wallet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Is the air con unit on all the time, uses a lot of fuel more in petrol than diesel engines in my experience.
    Also I have tried apple green and shell and there is no difference in my diesels mpg. Haven't tried esso yet

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Is the air con unit on all the time, uses a lot of fuel more in petrol than diesel engines in my experience.
    Also I have tried apple green and shell and there is no difference in my diesels mpg. Haven't tried esso yet

air con is on from time to time but no more than usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Any extra weight in the car? Have you put on a few pounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Onkle wrote: »
    Any extra weight in the car? Have you put on a few pounds?

Bodies in the cellar boot?

EPM wrote: »
    Bodies in the kitchen boot shallow grave?

some one called me a fat bastard

Boot is more or less empty but again nothing has changed over the last month

Advertisement