Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convert nokia car kit to work with iPhone?

• 12-10-2009 2:24pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got a new (second-hand) car there over the weekend and it has a Nokia handsfree kit installed to work with the in-built stereo. Before I remove it, does anyone know of any way to get it working with the iPhone?

The stereo doesn't have bluetooth, so I guess you'd be looking at some kind of adapter to alter the part that plugs into the bottom of the phone.

Any thoughts? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Which range of phones is the car kit for. There used to be a bluetooth device you plugged into it like a phone and your bluetooth phone connected to the car kit with it.

now someone who got it and it worked well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dingding wrote: »
    Which range of phones is the car kit for. There used to be a bluetooth device you plugged into it like a phone and your bluetooth phone connected to the car kit with it.

now someone who got it and it worked well.
    Interesting - that sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Don't know what kind of kit it is really - just has a cradle and button with a Nokia logo - and a connector that fits into the bottom of a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Dades wrote: »
    Interesting - that sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Don't know what kind of kit it is really - just has a cradle and button with a Nokia logo - and a connector that fits into the bottom of a phone.

try
    press and hold the nokia button in the car for 7 seconds then search for device on the iphone... thinks its called ckw7 or something like that. code is either 0000 or 1234 (maybe 12345 but more liekely one of the first 2)
    the cradle is useless though.

Is it this.

nokia-cr-28-car-holder.JPG

Or

ck1.jpg

Or

cark-91.jpg

This is the insert

BT-CARK91-DETAIL.jpg

Thanks guys for the responses :) - I took a pic of it yesterday evening:

IMG_1527_Medium.jpg

And over nearer the drivers' side there is button like this one dingding posted:

ck1.jpg

@The Big Gig - I'll try that - nothing to lose!
    I could care less about the cradle if I could get the iPhone speaking to the stereo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I'm using the same kit it is the nokia CK-7W and the previous poster is correct. Depending on how the kit is rigged, it may or may not search for new devices once the ignition is active. However, this can be forced by briefly pressing the nokia button. You will see a faint blue light over the button flash while it searches for bluetooth devices. Once found, you will be prompted to enter a passcode ( 0000 ). This will pair the unit to the kit and override the radio once calls are received. Get rid of the existing cradle and replace with active cradle number: 907255 found here and you're good to go ;)

Cheers dodzy - if you're right I will be a happy camper. :)
    (Actually my missis will as it's her car!)

I have one of these mounts for my own car (love it):

318ZVJ3%2B-jL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

But the ones you link to would be ideal to replace that nokia thing... nice one.

Will revert later with the results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tiger-Lily

Hi

The software on the kit is going to be a lot older than the software on the phone. Those kits only really work 100% with Nokia phones. You may get intermittend problems and Echoing issues.

The Newer ones like the CK-100 and CK-600 will work and if installed with ISO connectors will stream the music through your car stereo system via Bluetooth.

You can find more info on them here:

http://www.mobileaccessories.ie/?page=shop/browse&category_shortcut=car

Tiger-Lily wrote: »
    Hi

The software on the kit is going to be a lot older than the software on the phone. Those kits only really work 100% with Nokia phones. You may get intermittend problems and Echoing issues.

The Newer ones like the CK-100 and CK-600 will work and if installed with ISO connectors will stream the music through your car stereo system via Bluetooth.

You can find more info on them here:

http://www.mobileaccessories.ie/?page=shop/browse&category_shortcut=car

CK-7W and iphone workin 100% this end. No issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Thanks guys for the responses :) - I took a pic of it yesterday evening:

IMG_1527_Medium.jpg

And over nearer the drivers' side there is button like this one dingding posted:

ck1.jpg

@The Big Gig - I'll try that - nothing to lose!
    I could care less about the cradle if I could get the iPhone speaking to the stereo.
    VW Passat?

• Advertisement

C'mon stupid Tuesday hurry up and release me from work so i can test it!

@ Donnelly117 - yep!

C'mon stupid Tuesday hurry up and release me from work so i can test it!

@ Donnelly117 - yep!

Don't sweat dadesIt'llll work;)

dodzy wrote: »
    Don't sweat dadesIt'llll work;)
    You sir are correct!

Held down the Nokia button (mic?) until it flashed, then switched on Bluetooth on my iPhone - after a good sniff around it finally found handsfree "CK-7W" - and the default PIN of 0000 connected us!

Did the same for the missis' phone and she is mucho impressed. :D

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the Nokia cradle....

Thanks all! Go Boards!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the Nokia cradle....

Remove the nokia plastic logo in center of cradle.

Remove philips screw.

Get the cradle I linked to earlier.

You'll attach it easy enough with minor mods, if indeed any are required.

Remove the nice trim around the radio for access.

The cable which you would have earlier disconnected from the cradle can be buried behind the radio soon ( or disconnected completely if you are a purist.

Route the cig lighter holder through (split the cable if you must and rejoin - radio might have to be removed for access )

Connect said cig lighter to 12V supply behind the dash ( just connnect 12V wires + & - to the lighter adapter and fuseline it )

When all is done, go shoot the fitter who drilled 4 holes and destroyed the passat fascia with the existing cradle!

You'll do it easy enough Dades. Just spare an hour or so;)

Cheers for that - I'll see how much pressure the missis puts me under to sort it. ;)
    dodzy wrote: »
    When all is done, go shoot the fitter who drilled 4 holes and destroyed the passat fascia with the existing cradle!
    Who drills holes like that seriously! I'm surprised he didn't drill 'em in the wood. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I have the following:
    93285.jpg
    and
    93286.jpg
    and
    93287.jpg

I think what I need is this:
    BT-CARK91-DETAIL.jpg
    If so where can I get it?

is there any way I can alter the size of the images using the tag?

Sniipe - are you trying to connect an iPhone?

Have you tried just 'pairing' it?

btw, You can't resize images from within the tags.

yup, IPhone 3gs. There is no button to click to pair... (I just got the car, it was installed already)

Sniipe wrote: »
    yup, IPhone 3gs. There is no button to click to pair... (I just got the car, it was installed already)

Your kit, even though it is comparable to Dades, is different...and unfortunately without the "button" you are screwed. That said, you can pick up the CK-7W 2nd hand quite cheaply. You will need the button ( on the CK-7W ) to activate the pairing with the bluetooth. I'll have a look and see if I have a spare kit at home later. I've bundles of sh1t that she constantly moans about ( mostly accumulated nokia stuff ).

I have linked to a very nice holer in a previous post ( manufactured by Broadit ). They can be purchased from a reseller in Bray but they are 50€ and it has an integrated charge facility. Very handy.

Hey dodzy, is it not just a case of buying that phone like interface and stick that in the cradle and then use bluetooth? Or is the other method as cheap and better?

• Advertisement

That converter kit isn't cheap! From dingdings post earlier:
    http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=135617

Using it would allow you leave your setup as it, but putting in a old CK-7W kit like dodzy suggests means you don't need the convertor - and can either sit the phone in a holder that fits an iPhone - or lose the holder altogether.

One is easier - but is far from ideal. I don't know how difficult it is to install a CK-7W mic/pairing button, but that would be much more practical than sporting a phone cradle that only holds a pairing device for your phone! (You'd also have to move that out of sight every time you left the car).

Hey dodzy, is it not just a case of buying that phone like interface and stick that in the cradle and then use bluetooth? Or is the other method as cheap and better?

Well sniipe, it would be cheaper to go with the converter. But you have to admit that it is a gawky looking piece of kit. Its ironic that the cradle at one time housed one of the best nokia phones ever, the 6310 (i) :D

That combined with the fact that you still have to cradle the 3Gs somewhere; it'd look pretty silly mounted alog with the converter. I'll take a couple of snaps later of my set up. It's clean and effective. The Ck-7W is on adverts here. Obviously it totally depends on your budget but it would be a shame to not go the distance and show off the 3gs in a tasty cradle

And the Navigon satnav app works flawlessly positioned where your current holder is !;)

dodzy, your definately a sales person. I'll buy it off you because its a cleaner kit, but do I really need all that stuff?

Yeah, I'm curious as to how much of that stuff you'd need.

With my setup - I can literally do away with everything except the pairing button. Admittedly I don't know the ins-and-outs of setting up the Ck-7W - but where does all the other stuff come in?

I assume some sort of dongle plugs into the back of the stereo to connect bluetoothedly - and you obviously need the mic... after that I'm lost!

I have the following:
    93285.jpg
    and
    93286.jpg
    and
    93287.jpg

I think what I need is this:
    BT-CARK91-DETAIL.jpg
    If so where can I get it?

is there any way I can alter the size of the images using the tag?

that insert works with the previous version of the cradle.

The 2 items in the picture above are NOT compatible.

...dodzy, your definately a sales person.

No Snipe, no affiliation to any of the items i've pointed to. Just trying to help out, nothing else. I just hate to see people getting shafted with high priced kit installs etc. On top of that, more learned folk will throw in their experiences which we can all draw from
    .... but do I really need all that stuff?

I'm sure there are many options, but to the best of my knowledge, you have the CARK-91 which is not bluetooth compatable. Therefor you need a communicatior to the radio for the mute control on incoming. On top of this, the broadit cradle is pretty neat and with the added benefit of a charge facility.

Apologies on the quality of the pics but you get the idea. i'm sure.

Sorry dodzy, I thought it was you I was buying off :)

anyway, I've bought it and will collect tomorrow. I've no idea what to do, but I'm willing to give it a go.

I have a phone holder and charger alread.

Will I be just taking out everything that I have in the car already with this kit do you think?

Sorry dodzy, I thought it was you I was buying off :)

anyway, I've bought it and will collect tomorrow. I've no idea what to do, but I'm willing to give it a go.

I have a phone holder and charger alread.

Will I be just taking out everything that I have in the car already with this kit do you think?

You can leave the antenna on the window if you wish ( although it will not serve any purpose. You can use the existing mic as it is compatable with your new kit. Also, it is possible that the current kit has it's own speaker as opposed to direct wiring to the stereo speakers. If this is the case, you can use this for the new install also. The difficult part will be getting to the mute wire for the radio. That said, if you just find the control module for the existing kit, just splice into its wires as the previous installer has done all the hard work for you. If you like the location of the box, just place your one there !

Wiring diagram as follows:
    car kit blue - connect to ignition cable OR connects to switched 12v cable going to radio
    car kit red - Direct to +terminal of battery OR to constant 12v cable going to radio
    car kit black - connects to GROUND going to radio
    car kit yellow - connects to mute function of radio if your radio supports it.

Any hassle, just give us a shout;)

having difficulty with getting to the current box...

I have gotten to the bolts at the top to remove the mid console, but dunno how to get to the ones at the bottom.

93499.JPG

• Advertisement

sweet, I got it working. Its very neat now. Thanks dodzy for your help.

Advertisement