Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are digiweb still cap nazis ?

• 12-10-2009 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Do Digiweb still measure both up and down as your cap and fine you for going a few gig over ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nearly all the ISPs count both upload and download in the total usage, but yes, Digiweb still do. Their cap is also quite low, and they throttle your connection to a very low speed when you go over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

jor el wrote: »
    Nearly all the ISPs count both upload and download in the total usage, but yes, Digiweb still do. Their cap is also quite low, and they throttle your connection to a very low speed when you go over.

You can say that again, dial up speeds once you go over cap, well what seemed like dial up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Digiweb are apparently front runners to buy Smart-if they do and reduce Smarts caps, I'm off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

pjproby wrote: »
    Digiweb are apparently front runners to buy Smart-if they do and reduce Smarts caps, I'm off.

Proof? Link? I have not heard of any such rumour.

I don't think there's been any report on Digiweb buying Smart. Last report I read said O2 were about to buy, but that was months ago, long before their examinership application.

Digiweb's cap policy is what keeps Metro usable for all user though. Just a few bandwidth hogs would be enough to bring it crashing down. You never see complaints about speed issues on Metro, but you do on practically every other service and ISP.

Like it or loath it, it does keep the problems down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I saw this thread title in my subbed list, and I just had to post to say lol. :D

pjproby wrote: »

Interesting.
    The paper also reports that Digiweb could be the one to rescue troubled firm Smart Telecom. The company may receive an investment from Digiweb as part of a deal that could see a writedown for Smart bondholders of 25 percent to 30 percent. Both Digiweb and Magnet Networks have been in talks with Smart’s examiner, who was appointed in July, but Digiweb is thought to be the front runner in a rescue deal.

Would have thought it would suit Magnet nicely, though there is a lot of over-lap in the exchanges they both operate LLU out of, so maybe not. Their models are very similar, uncontended, large limit, ADSL2+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

jor el wrote: »

Digiweb's cap policy is what keeps Metro usable for all user though. Just a few bandwidth hogs would be enough to bring it crashing down. You never see complaints about speed issues on Metro, but you do on practically every other service and ISP.

Like it or loath it, it does keep the problems down.

I doubt few people would mind a bit of contention though. To me it seems that Digiweb is not using its network in an optimal way. Increasingly, Digiwebs network is for grannies who do a bit of Facebook. Digiweb could host a lot more users if they allow for a small bit of contention. I really doubt increasing the cap to for instance twice as much would have a big impact. 'Big' (30 gb per month is less than 1/30 th of what you could theoretically download).
    Digiweb is doing it for money reasons is what I think, penny wise, pound foolish, or the technology is not allowing too many users (= bad technology choice).

And else there are choices which Digiweb does not seem to want to consider.
    What about limiting traffic at peak times? Or allowing users on non-congested masts to download more? or offer reasonable prices for 'booster' packages?

I think Digiweb is only creating problems (for themselves.. )

Advertisement