Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just finished Fallout 3, what next?

• 12-10-2009 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Having taken my time playing fallout 3 + DLC's, savoring every detail of such an epic game, I now need a new game, I Don't think I can go back to the average FPS/adventure game such as halo or red faction. I'm not a fan of the traditional sword and magic style RPG so oblivion is out the window. Is there anything else out there like fallout 3 but with modern weapons(not swords and magic)?

Something post apocalyptic or futuristic would be a plus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I just played Mass Effect recently and found it similar to Fallout 3, worth a look, plus you can pick it up cheap. I still prefer Fallout 3, but it's good nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Mass Effect. You can pick it up fairly cheap these days and there's a sequel coming out early next year.

Well worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭hinduhamster

Borderlands is coming out in a few weeks (2?) and I'd recommend that. It's looking pretty good at the moment and the previews have been in favour of it.

It's like a mix between fallout and FPS games. It's worth checking it out anyway.

I'm getting mass effect on steam (€15) soon, as everybody tells me it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Borderlands maybe?

Looks promising, and is out next week.

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Oblivion? Never played it myself, but its made by Bethesda and I've heard F3 is like Oblivion with guns instead of magic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Borderlands looks good, the artwork on the site looks similar to that on the fallout site.

Will also give mass effect a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Have a look out for the new one from ID soft called RAGE , not exactly an rpg but definitely borrows more than just a little from fallout. I'm looking forward to it but it's a while off yet.

I personally think your missing out by dismissing oblivion, I'm not a hugh elves and gnome man myself but i loved oblivion. +1 on mass effect.

Bioshock hasnt been mentioned yet so ill recommend that.

Also might be work doing some homework on Deadspace , you might enjoy that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Read The Road by Cormac McCarthy then put a gun in your mouth, your done. Or play Fable 2 if you already played Mass Effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When I finished Fallout 3 I was finally able to get my life back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just go get Oblivion. I'm not into the whole fantasy thing either, but I enjoyed it a lot. No idea what I was doing half the time story wise though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Oblivion is great, but I've noticed it falls into two camps, the people who liked F3 didn't like Oblivion, and vice versa.

I wasnt a fan of pointy hatted finger waggling, but I played Oblivion and loved it.

Anyway, I think you should play Batman Arkham Asylum while you're waiting for Borderlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭cml387

Funny that, I've just Finished F3 and now have an void in my life. I've gone back to GTAIV but my heart's not really in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

cml387 wrote: »
    Funny that, I've just Finished F3 and now have an void in my life. I've gone back to GTAIV but my heart's not really in it.
    Must resist sexual inuendo urge. But apart from that Oblivion is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

After putting ~120 hours into Fallout 3 over 5 weeks (ending in mid-September), I thought I'd go for some cheap/short games after that rather than jumping into another RPG. I played Shadow Complex and Tomb Raider Underworld to completion. I've not played a game in about 9 days. Surprisingly, I'm not having withdrawal symptoms yet...

I was watching a trailer for Bio shock,unknown to me, my Gf was watching it over my shoulder, Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a seconds Xbox..

I think given the recommendations here I'll be playing:

Borderlands,
    Bioshock*,
    Mass effect*,

and then Prototype, haven't played it but herd good things.

*order of these may vary.

I should really play Halo wars considering I have it sitting at home never been played thanks to fallout.

anyway that should keep my going for a little while.
    After putting ~120 hours into Fallout 3 over 5 weeks (ending in mid-September), I thought I'd go for some cheap/short games after that rather than jumping into another RPG. I played Shadow Complex and Tomb Raider Underworld to completion. I've not played a game in about 9 days. Surprisingly, I'm not having withdrawal symptoms yet...

It was a sad occasion when I finished, I spent ~160 hours exploring everywhere I could find. I find I need something to fill the void.I have had nothing but withdrawal symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Silverfish wrote: »
    Oblivion is great, but I've noticed it falls into two camps, the people who liked F3 didn't like Oblivion, and vice versa.

I wasnt a fan of pointy hatted finger waggling, but I played Oblivion and loved it.

Anyway, I think you should play Batman Arkham Asylum while you're waiting for Borderlands.

I loved both of them, and spent way too long playing them.

+1 for batman although its not quite up to the standard of fallout3 and oblivion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The only other game that's really like Fallout 3 is Oblivion. Mass Effect is overrated to be honest; the graphics, combat and AI are all poor. There's lots of fun to be had with Batman and Bioshock though.

If you are looking for a short game I'd recommend Braid or Shadow Complex (the first is an original puzzle game and the second is a little like Metroid Prime).

Borderlands looks closest to what you want but it's not out yet, and no one knows if it'll be any good (personally I think the thousands of possible weapon's is a gimmick).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

FALLOUT =greatest game ever....dont like oblivion though..
    Sheepy1994.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I'd recommend Shadow Complex too.. can't remember enjoying a single player as much in a long time..

And perhaps Brutal Legend on Friday.. I know I'll be picking it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I've been hooked on Fallout 3 for the last month, havent played anything else, a game that good is a pain in the ass :P Only thing that's gonna get me off it it Uncharted 2 when it arrives next week..

I'd reccomend Bioshock without a doubt, awesome game, fable 2 aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

hobochris wrote: »
    I think given the recommendations here I'll be playing:

Borderlands,
    Bioshock*,
    Mass effect*,

and then Prototype, haven't played it but herd good things.

I'd agree with all this but thought I'd just say that I didn't like Prototype at all after a couple of hours. It gets very repetitive very quickly, with the new moves and enhancements you get not really changing up the gameplay imo. The first few hours are great craic though, it's one of the few games I can say is the very definition of a rental. Also the plot is garbage so may be a big comedown after Fallout 3's varied plots and settings.

Far Cry 2 is worth a look as well. It doesn't get a lot of love in these parts but it has similar RPG elements and the African setting is pretty much a wasteland, just not nuclear. Story isn't as detailed as Fallout's and I preferred Mass Effect and Bioshock as gaming experiences but it's probably the closest thing to Fallout that still has guns in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I didn't like Prototype at all really, it was enjoyable enough at first but I found it frustrating and monotonous after awhile.

I'm actually thinking of picking up Fallout 3 again or the Xbox on Friday. I've played through it three times on the PS3 and picked up all the trophies but I haven't bought any of the DLC yet. Of course Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend are out on Firday too, so it's going to be a tough choice.

I have to agree with the AI in Mass Effect. Found it really annoying when my guys would run into a room and get blown to smithereens, leaving me alone. That being said, it is still an enjoyable enough game. Loved Oblivion - so much fun. Favourite part for me is a soldier killing somebody, walking away a meter or so and turning around shouting, "There's been a murder!" and kneeling beside the body.

I Played the Bioshock demo last night, Its ok but something felt off about the game, couldn't put my finger on.

I got Mass effect, Couldn't be arsed waiting or going to get it so used some Microsoft points to get it form games on demand.

I know I probably paid over the odds for it,but you cant really put a price on the convenience of staying in your boxers instead of putting clothes on & having to go to a games retailer and get the game.

Advertisement