Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs & Taxis

Options
  • 12-10-2009 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Not sure if people realise this - but you can get a taxi with your dog as long as you ring in advance and let them know. We've done it a few times now and the dog just sits in the footwell of the back of the car on the journey home.

Great when we head over to a friends and want to have a drink or two! I'm still slightly incredulous, as Ireland is not particularly dog friendly and this is so handy!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Is it a guide dog? If so then they can't not let you in with a guide dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Yep, we had our staffy outside the bull & castle for a few drinks a while ago. We asked the taxi driver at the rank could we bring her and he said no problem if she was used to the cars.

I'm sure it depends on the driver but many wouldn't turn down the fare these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Is it a guide dog? If so then they can't not let you in with a guide dog.

Nope, just a regular family pet. The firms seem more than happy to take the fare tbh, just make sure you mention it when you book.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Thanks OP, I didnt know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Done this a bunch of times and though it does depend on the driver, most seem to be fine with it.

Have pointed out here before that public transport options here are very limited when transporting pets so this is a lifesaver for someone like me who can't drive for medical (eye) reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I brought my cats to the vet in a taxi once. I rang in advance and everything was fine. Brand new car.

On the journey there the driver asked what was wrong with them. I replied "oh they're walking with fleas" :D You should have seen his face. I had to explan I was messing a few times to him.

(obviously they were not walking with fleas, they were going to be neutered)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Sounds great. If anyone can recomend one of the taxi firms they've used Id appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

tesslab wrote: »
    Sounds great. If anyone can recomend one of the taxi firms they've used Id appreciate it.

We've just used whatever card/number was in the house at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

They're not obliged to carry any dog, it's all down to the driver. And even that it's nothing new, we've been doing it for a long time whenever we need it, just ring a taxi firm and let them know you have a dog and there's usually a driver that will collect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I had a Springer that suffered very badly with arthritis and used to get periods of being very stiff and sore for a few days (usually due to the weather and cold), he needed a few shots (mainly anti inflams) plus some extra meds to ease the pain for these few bad day every so often. We needed a taxi to bring him to the vet (poor pet was very bad) and I called six companies, only one was willing to carry him. Our vets is about a 5/10 minute drive and a 45 minute walk from our house (we can usually walk the dogs down if they are getting boosters etc.) but there was no way he could get down there. I explained this to each company, and also that he was totally toilet trained and used going in cars, and quite a few of them were very rude. I can't see how a dog is any more risk (less, in my opinion) than taking a drunken fool home on a Friday night. The switch girl in the company that did give us the lift put out the word and when we rang back 10 mins later she had someone that would do it

Needless to say, the company that gave us the lift now gets all of our custom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

in dublin i have rang 8202020 many times and told them i had a dog and could they send a driver who wouldnt mind taking her. she is a medium size dog, sat on the seat etc, and everything was fine. i have to say tho, not that i minded, every time they charged me as if she was an extra person. once my mother flagged a taxi, and he wouldnt take her with a small dog, he said incase people got in after her with allergies to dogs, which of course is fair enough, its up to the driver. but i would defo have no problem ringing any taxi company asking them to send me a driver who will take a dog, i myself have never had any problems. i would have more problems with shop keepers telling me to get out of the shop when im just running in to get the paper with the dog if there is no where to tie her lead to, i suppose i understand tho, i always think to myself about the people who are afraid of dogs.

Advertisement