Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Constructing a Water Tank

• 12-10-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I need to construct a water tank.
    Approx. 10m x 1m x 1m.
    It will hold approximately 5000litres of water.

One 10m side needs to be clear (I'm thinking something like perspex)

The other sides and bottom can be solid.

What materials could I use?

I'm assuming that getting a 10m x 1m long piece of solid material is a bit extreme, so what would be the best method of attaching 3 or more sections together to ensure no leaks and maintain strength?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I need to construct a water tank.
    Approx. 10m x 1m x 1m.
    It will hold approximately 5000litres of water.

One 10m side needs to be clear (I'm thinking something like perspex)

The other sides and bottom can be solid.

What materials could I use?

I'm assuming that getting a 10m x 1m long piece of solid material is a bit extreme, so what would be the best method of attaching 3 or more sections together to ensure no leaks and maintain strength?

10 x 1 x 1 will hold 10000 litres....

if you only need to hold 5000, why build it so large?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

As Syd said, a tank that size will hold double what you say you require. What is the tank for? Is it for still storage of water? What will the water inside the tank be used for? Galvanised steel is a possibility for what you require (5M is easily achievable in 2 lenghts).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

I will be using it to create waves so I have to allow for variations in height.

As I said its only an approximate value, I need to do some calculations.

Putting it simply, this is the largest tank size possible with the space that I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭biblio

Something like this?
    http://www.killarneyplastics.com/water-storage.php
    Not sure about being able to have one side clear though,
    but as said previously galvanised steel may suit better, it would be possible to fit a clear polycarbonate panel into one of the sides.
    Or if you keep an eye out at companies who work on dairy plants and the like they might have surplus old stainless steel tanks available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Why not try some fish tank manufacturers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I'm sure you could use some form of structural glass, pricy though!! and will probably have to come in two or three sections for handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Box section steel with steel plating for the 3 sides and 12mm+ perspex for the viewing side.
    Probably best to hot dip galv the metal to avoid corrosion problems, will you be using any electrical equipment in the tank?
    This is a kind of flume tank correct?

Advertisement