Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can practice make perfect with the GAMSAT or HPAT?

Options
  • 12-10-2009 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Can practice make perfect with the GAMSAT or HPAT?

From peoples experiences can the amount of times you take either exam give you an advantage. The HPAT is apparently 'grind proof', whereas from my own experience I took the GAMSAT in the UK last month with barely any revision after finished a B.Sc. and feel I have loads of room for improvement in S2 and S3 for March.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Something I've been wondering about a lot lately. I'd love to see some stats on the Australian experience. It hasn't been running long enough in UK & Ireland to be sure.
    Personally, I think some improvement can be made on HPAT S1, not much on S2, and buckets on S3..

Ooh look what a bit of googling did for me:
    http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/189_05_010908/gri10324_fm.html
    (The HPAT is just copied of the Australian UMAT)
    51.4% of interviewees had attended coaching. Coached candidates had slightly higher UMAT scores on one of three sections of the test (non-verbal reasoning), but this difference was not significant after controlling for Universities Admission Index, sex and age... Although there are no studies on the effect of coaching on the UMAT, a qualitative review of the impact of coaching on the Medical College Admission Test (used mainly in the United States and Canada)4 showed that it had only a minimal effect in increasing scores.
    Because the non-verbal reasoning section of the UMAT requires candidates to solve pattern series using quantitative and specific skills, it is not surprising that this section was more affected by coaching
    the participants in our survey group were among the top UMAT performers and there is no way of knowing whether a higher proportion of this group underwent coaching than of the group of lower performers who did not reach our threshold for invitation to interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

umm... it's going to be very disheartening if the Gamsat SIII is repeat-proof. I got a 42 with pretty much no clue and a basic overview but it was all guesswork. I am getting stuck into the science now and would be surprised if I got the same score in March.
    HOW depressing would it be if I did!
    As for Sections I and II, I think they would be hard to improve on. You could maybe write essayupon essay but if they aren't getting marked how would you know the quality?
    I think trying to ace SIII would be the best way of aiming for a good 'repeat'.
    Or, at least, I'm hoping so...

Advertisement