Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Dog Kennels....

• 12-10-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows where a large dog kennel can be bought. We bought our initial one at a pet store in towne and our lovely dog has torn it to pieces (literally). Looking to spend between 200-300. Something he can't necessarily chew through...Any help would be apprecaited!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lira

Have you tried the pet shop next to Smyths? I remember they had an igloo type kennels there. They're made of plastic so will be harder to chew. There are a couple in Pet Necessities on the Cork road also. Don't know how big though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 deise69

We got our original one at Pet Necessities ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

you might be better off with one of the smaller galvanized garden sheds.they come in many sizes and might work out cheaper then a dog kennel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

wfman wrote: »
    you might be better off with one of the smaller galvanized garden sheds.they come in many sizes and might work out cheaper then a dog kennel.
    Very Cold?

Try http://www.trihysheds.ie/ On the N25 between Dungarvan and Yougal. Their dog kennels look like this. Well made very solid.

ttm wrote: »
    Very Cold?

Try http://www.trihysheds.ie/ On the N25 between Dungarvan and Yougal. Their dog kennels look like this. Well made very solid.

wouldnt be two cold if you have good bedding in it for the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

wfman wrote: »
    wouldnt be two cold if you have good bedding in it for the dog.

Except that our dog eats any bedding we put in whatsoever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

There's a guy out in Kilmeaden opposite Glanbia that sells wooden ones I have no idea of price.

sfmonet wrote: »
    Except that our dog eats any bedding we put in whatsoever!
    shredded paper would be your best bet.

So lets ask the quesiton whats the breed of dog and perhaps more importantly is the dog locked in the kennel at any time?

One of our dogs will chew her bedding but not the kennel itself. We get good quality blankets for her from the local charity shop; people don't use and won't buy second hand blankets, so they are virtually free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

There's a lad out in Piltown, I can't remember his name makes proper big dog sheds and will deliver, double skinned walls. I've mine here over a couple of years and it still looks like new, my dog is a cross between a rottie and a lab so she's big enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Junior wrote: »
    There's a lad out in Piltown, I can't remember his name makes proper big dog sheds and will deliver, double skinned walls. I've mine here over a couple of years and it still looks like new, my dog is a cross between a rottie and a lab so she's big enough.

Hi Junior,

Do you know whereabouts in piltown or do you have a number? I am in the same boat as the OP. If you have any more details send me a PM.

I was lookin at a few on donedeal.ie as well worth checking out.

Thanks a mill.

B~

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

ttm wrote: »
    So lets ask the quesiton whats the breed of dog and perhaps more importantly is the dog locked in the kennel at any time?

One of our dogs will chew her bedding but not the kennel itself. We get good quality blankets for her from the local charity shop; people don't use and won't buy second hand blankets, so they are virtually free.

We have an Alaskan Malamute. He chews up anything even the kennel. We've never locked him in it.

sfmonet wrote: »
    We have an Alaskan Malamute. He chews up anything even the kennel. We've never locked him in it.

Sorry had to ask ;)

Would an over head shelter be any use? I would guess all he might need is something to keep the rain off? Our bernese x rotty stays out most nights and only uses her kennel when its really cold, she's welcome indoors but gets too hot as soon as there is any heating on.

While as I've said I don't like galvanised steel sheds would a galvanised pig ark be any use?

Edit> You could ask anyone that makes kennels to make you one where it would be easy to swap over the bits he chews, like the door and the front section, then get a couple made when you get the kennel and change them over before he gets his teeth into the main frame work. btw you could also ask for the "edible" section to be made out of untreated wood as most would be made out of CCA treated timber (Copper Chrome Arsinate) which might not do him any good.

or get a few concrete blocks a bag of sand and a bag of cement.he wont chew through that.you'll get out for under 50 euro.

Advertisement