Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder trial collapes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

orourkeda wrote: »
    My attitude is if you cant beat them join them.

It's as clear as crystal that the criminal justice in its present form will never work properly. Sometimes you just have to match fire with fire.

Vigilanteism doesn't work, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

mike kelly wrote: »
    The Guards should never have allowed these kids to give evidence. They must have known what would happen. The DPP and Garda Commissioner should be accountable when trials collapse in this manner.

How can they be? I dont know the ins and outs of the case but perhaps the kids evidence was crucial to the outcome of the case.

The DPP and the Gardai have a tough enough job. They already have to work within the confines of the law and it's as frustrating for them as it is for anyone else when a trial like this collapses. They should only be reprimanded if they have done something immoral or illegal.

Vigilanteism doesn't work, unfortunately.

Neither does the law. So what do we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Do the Gardai not record witness statements a la The Bill?

I gave one in the gardai station 4 year's ago and it was all hand written.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

My attitude is if you cant beat them join them.

It's as clear as crystal that the criminal justice in its present form will never work properly. Sometimes you just have to match fire with fire.

Not at all. If you or I were defending our family or home and some scum injured themselfs/died. We would most definitly be sued/jailed.
    Brilliant system!

• Advertisement

Mask wrote: »
    I gave one in the gardai station 4 year's ago and it was all hand written.

Witness statements are given handwritten, agreed with the witness and signed by the witness and the guard who recorded it.

I'm not sure what the position is with regard to underage children signing witness statements.

Interrogations are recorded for the benefit of the person being questioned, not for the benefit of the guards.

Not at all. If you or I were defending our family or home and some scum injured themselfs/died. We would most definitly be sued/jailed.
    Brilliant system!

Abbsolutely but Do you stand back and allow them to do as they please and then blame the justice system afterwards?

Neither does the law. So what do we do?

you can change and undo an unjust or incorrect law. you can't change and undo an unjust or incorrect beating.

Brilliant system!

Any examples of this under the Irish judicial system?

you can change and undo an unjust or incorrect law. you can't change and undo an unjust or incorrect beating.

Thats exactly the point. Law can be manipulated. Thats the whole reason the justice system is crumbling.

• Advertisement

Any examples of this under the Irish judicial system?

There was a case a while back. Now i dont know the exact details but the general gist is A joyrider crashed a car that he had just stolen and died. The mother of the joyrider successfully sued the car owner for the death.

Crime does pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

[SNIPPED]

Magnus wrote: »
    SNIPPED.

True. That is the rule that we're bound too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

It's a crazy system alright, but wasn't there something recently about some new legislation to go on the side of someone protecting themselves on their own property?

Whether part of the law or not, if someone was in my house, whether coming to rob, maim, rape or kill, I know what I would do to protect my family, property and self.

polyfusion wrote: »
    It's a crazy system alright, but wasn't there something recently about some new legislation to go on the side of someone protecting themselves on their own property?

Whether part of the law or not, if someone was in my house, whether coming to rob, maim, rape or kill, I know what I would do to protect my family, property and self.

Indeed. But was there a provision for self defence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I doubt either of these two little fvckers will die of old age, sometimes Karma comes encased in copper.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Thanks contributors. We're done with this thread for the time being. I've snipped where I believe appropriate.

Tom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement