Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitch starting to scratch ???

Options
  • 12-10-2009 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Can someone please help me with the above issue I have with my Corgi bitch,she is just starting to coat and is starting to scratch the top of her head and it is fairly raw looking at the moment.
    Is there something I can get to help her through this.
    She has scratched herself before but not to this extent.She is 6 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

She could have an allergy or a skin infection - best get her to a vet, just to make sure. They may need to take a skin scraping to find out what the cause of the problem is. There is nothing that you can really do, the more you go at it the more likely it is you'll introduce infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

did you change her food recently, some dogs are very allergic to dog food content such as wheat, my mum's west highland for instance has terrible skin problems when he eats wheat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Spudzz

Spudzz wrote: »
    Can someone please help me with the above issue I have with my Corgi bitch,she is just starting to coat and is starting to scratch the top of her head and it is fairly raw looking at the moment.
    Is there something I can get to help her through this.
    She has scratched herself before but not to this extent.She is 6 years old.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Will give her another few days to see if it will clear up,if not I will then take her to a vet.

Paul91 wrote: »
    did you change her food recently, some dogs are very allergic to dog food content such as wheat, my mum's west highland for instance has terrible skin problems when he eats wheat

All I ever feed her is boiled chicken and brown bread,and a few dry nuts.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Although chicken etc. is great for dogs she might need extra nutrition.
    Brown bread contains wheat. Or could be mites.
    If he head is sore some pre boiled then cooled to room temp water with a good bit of table salt in it, mix it well and bathe the area with it, it will help prevent it getting infected.

If it turns out that her skin is dry and irritated because shes moulting theres a great oil from seven seas/vitapet moult tonic you put in their food is it brilliant for dry skin and great for the coat.

If the skin is open and raw or bleeding perhas a trip to the vets is best though dont want it getting too sore and uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

Although chicken etc. is great for dogs she might need extra nutrition.
    Brown bread contains wheat. Or could be mites.
    If he head is sore some pre boiled then cooled to room temp water with a good bit of table salt in it, mix it well and bathe the area with it, it will help prevent it getting infected.

If it turns out that her skin is dry and irritated because shes moulting theres a great oil from seven seas/vitapet moult tonic you put in their food is it brilliant for dry skin and great for the coat.

If the skin is open and raw or bleeding perhas a trip to the vets is best though dont want it getting too sore and uncomfortable.

Thank you for your reply.
    It is people like yourself,that make this such a great forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sativa_soul

My dog was constantly licking & scratching himself - mainly his legs - but sometimes his chest & belly - after having a serious flea issue in our last house (previous tennants brought them in) I know all too well fleas & flea signs - and there were non on any of our animals - so after monitoring this for a few weeks it began to get rapidly worse - we were gone over-night and when we returned he had scratched himself raw & open & bleeding in so many places - especially his legs & head were the worst - we took him to the vet the next morning when they opened - the vet took a very quick glance at him and said straight away he knew it was most likely a meat protein allergy - my dog apparently had 5 of the 6 dead-sure symptoms of it - so for the last week he has been off dog foods & all meats - and the turn around has been astonishing - hes never scratching himself or licking anymore, well I mean, we all itch at some point or another - but anything he does is no more than normal for any dog - so we're thinking its that aswell since he's gotten completely better since the diet change. The list of things the vet said he could safely eat are:

Tuna (other fish will probably be ok but he said to just keep it with tuna for a few weeks to make sure)

Couscous, Rice, Pasta, Potatos, Kidney Beans

We've tried other types of beans but he doesn't like them and wont eat them

You might want to try your dog on a similar diet - eliminate alot of things and if that works you know its some type of allergy - so you can either get him tested at that point for allergies or just slowly introduce a new food each week and eventually one thing will trigger the allergy and you'lll notice the symptoms again

GOod luck

Advertisement