Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On a 3 day week

Options
  • 12-10-2009 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I was put on a 3 day week with one weeks notice. I have already secured work straight away for the other 2 days so have never signed on.

My question is:

Can my boss insist that I come in when it suits him or is there statuary notice to be given.

It could fcuk up my 2nd job if he starts insisting that I come in when it suits him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This happens a fair bit in retail and the usual answer is yes.
    If you took the original contract for full time hours and had to be cut back to 3 day week then it is their opinion you should still be available for full time hours.

Often when some one is cut down to 3 days they may have to make alternative childcare arrangements, which is much easier if you can stick to the same 3 days every week.

From the original employers point of view, you were contracted to them first, anything you take on after them has to fit around them.

I do agree with you, they should just it around the 2nd job as they can't give you the work you signed up for, but in my experience as you haven't signed a new contract the original one stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

So they can just bring you on and off a 3 day as they please?

I feel they may do this to me as I am the only one not signing for the 2 days.

Advertisement