Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on ms meds please?

Options
  • 12-10-2009 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

My husband was diagnosed with MS in march and at the hospital today he was told they want to start him on medication. He was basically given booklets on 4 different drugs and asked to choose one taking into account side effects etc. He hasnt a clue which one to pick so I was wondering has anyone with ms any advice as to good/bad side effects or things we should take into consideration? He has made an appt with the gp on wed to ask his advice but he would like to hear firsthand from people who have tried some of these meds. The ones he has to choose from are Betaferon, Avonex, Copaxone and Rebif. Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shazba

Hi There, Sorry to hear about your hubby. I have M.S for 4 years , Each medication is different for each person I was given the same choices about 3 .5 years ago chose rebif because it seamed easiest . Injecting yourself takes getting used to but its okay when you get used to it. Each M.S treatment comes with an M.S nurse to put you at ease. I myself am afraid to say rebif didnt suit ,and now get an infusion of tysabri each month. But that doesnt mean your hubby will have problems he could be fine . His neuro will advise if asked . also the M.S society give good advise but its really just trial and error. good luck;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

I've been on MS meds for two years now and I was also just given booklets and told to decide myself!! Something I dont agree with!! Im on betaferon. Inject every second day. Im free of any flares in those two years so it must be doing something!! Alot of people start on betaferon and find it good. The side effects of it are flu like symtoms but these go away when the body gets used to the drug. In saying that I didnt have any side effects. Everyone is different.

Advertisement