Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I get this laptop on my network?

• 12-10-2009 5:30pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a work Laptop which is configured to run on the company network etc etc

I use it at home and its on the wireless fine but I would like it to be able to see files on other computers on my home network/workgroup (XP).

I remember with my last job when I tried changing the workgroup I totally screwed things up so I do not want to do this again, is there an easier way to access the shared files?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

should be fine,

shouldnt make a hugh difference to anything

you wont have your work files at home, simply cos your work network is in work and not at home.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OK but the thing is my laptop is set to be on the "ie-mycompany" workgroup. If I change this to "myhomenetwork" it will no longer get on to the company network when I'm in work.

Any way to do both?

dont change it from your workgroup.

you wont be able to see other files on the home network but you will still get the interweb with no problems

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes I can get on the wireless network and surf the web no problem. what I'm tying to do is to try to access files on other computers over the wireless network.
    Is there any way around this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

The laptop would surely be on the company DOMAIN rather than workgroup. It's one or the other so if you change the laptop to being on a workgroup you remove it from the company domain and won't be able to login or do anything when you go back to work.

Tbh I don't think you really need to have machines in the same workgroup to access files, eg I have an XP server in workgroup X and can access files from my laptop which is in workgroup Y no problem..

You should be able to type \\hostname or \\IPADDRESS of the computers with the shared files into the run box on your laptop and hit enter.

If your having problems with authentication try create a new admin user account on the XP machine you are trying to access files on with the same username and password as your work laptop.

• Advertisement

lets make it a bit easer than what the last guy said,

your using a wireless network,

if you were to click network you should be able to view the other computers on the network your using, like netopia modem, you should be able to just click on the computer and look at the files through there provided they are set up to share and are public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

What OS is it? XP or Vista.

In XP, go into My Network Places (Can be found in My Computer if not on desktop)

In My Network Places, Click View Workgroup Computers.

It'll probably only show you one pc, your own, since you are not at work
    Click the Up button on the toolbar, which will take you to are where all workgroups detected are displayed. You can then browse into them and find the PC you want to connect to.

The way i access my PCs is the manual way, already mentioned. ie. \\pcname in the address bar

Advertisement