Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panorama 12 Oct 2009 - Why Hate Ryanair?

Options
  • 12-10-2009 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

I'm no big fan of Ryanair, or Michael O'Leary, but this programme looks like a load of crap. They seem to be focused on saying that Ryanair have hidden charges & costs, rather than focussing on important things, like their disregard for security procedures for staff in airports, or overworking pilots as still goes on, after it was exposed in the Channel 4 Dispatches programme in 2006.

Panorama also refused an uncut interview with someone from the airline, if a giggle see O'Leary bicker with a Panorama reporter over this, and how the television licence fee is used by the BBC here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_8298000/8298750.stm Pretty funny...

I'll make my mind up tonight when I see it, but even from the ads this show looks like a loads of crap, what happened to the good days of Panorama? Long live Channel 4...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Linku wrote: »
    I'm no big fan of Ryanair, or Michael O'Leary, but this programme looks like a load of crap. They seem to be focused on saying that Ryanair have hidden charges & costs, rather than focussing on important things, like their disregard for security procedures for staff in airports, or overworking pilots as still goes on, after it was exposed in the Channel 4 Dispatches programme in 2006.

Panorama also refused an uncut interview with someone from the airline, if a giggle see O'Leary bicker with a Panorama reporter over this, and how the television licence fee is used by the BBC here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_8298000/8298750.stm Pretty funny...

I'll make my mind up tonight when I see it, but even from the ads this show looks like a loads of crap, what happened to the good days of Panorama? Long live Channel 4...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair#Dispatches_programme Didn't see the show myself but it seems there wasn't much substance to the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I am in love with Ryanair!!!! he is class!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Reading the correspondance on the Ryanair website, I reckon this is gonna be more tabloid investigative journalism.
    Panorama has really gone to the dogs. As has prime time investigates.
    Is there any good investigative journalism left? Cook?

I'm not a fan of Ryanair either, but I end up flying with them more than any other airline, as they serve routes I need.
    They are not my favourite airline, far from it, but they claim they must be Ireland's favourite as more people fly with them than the others .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

O'Leary was class in that interview, yerman didn't get a word in edgeways and he just turned it into a promo for Ryanair and all in such a polite manner, brilliant.

I don't normally fly with Ryanair, I think Aerlingus is worth a few extra euros and they fly to where I want to go. But the few times I did fly with them I had no problems with them at all. It's really only the fact they don't fly to the places I want to go that means I don't use them as often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

That was hilarious. I can't see why they wouldn't just do an unedited interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Banter Joe wrote: »
    That was hilarious. I can't see why they wouldn't just do an unedited interview.
    They probably want to ask questions in a separate sitting so the interviewer doesn't look redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

amacachi wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair#Dispatches_programme Didn't see the show myself but it seems there wasn't much substance to the programme.

I was about to say that yeah. It was shown to be extremely biased and fabricated the truth.

I'm gonna watch the Panorama thing tonight but yeah I read that correspondence on the Ryanair website and it looks like it won't be the best investigative journalism in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

That was gas, fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I just watched that doorstep interview with Michael O'Leary. He really played it well, especially the bit at the end where he suggests that the BBC would have saved money by flying Ryanair instead of flying BMI.

I dont understand why Panorama wont just interview him and put it out uncut, if that's all that he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Word on the street is that they're gonna offer 100,000 'free' flights for every false claim in the programme, this is just turning into one big ad for them!

Hadn't read up on the dispatches programme, a lot of the stuff was so unbelievable it wouldnt suprised me that it was exaggerated or faked, but the hours the pilots claimed to be working really was concerning. Dunno how they two reporters got away with wearing cameras on them for six months though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Linku wrote: »
    Word on the street is that they're gonna offer 100,000 'free' flights for every false claim in the programme, this is just turning into one big ad for them!

Hadn't read up on the dispatches programme, a lot of the stuff was so unbelievable it wouldnt suprised me that it was exaggerated or faked, but the hours the pilots claimed to be working really was concerning. Dunno how they two reporters got away with wearing cameras on them for six months though.

What kind of hours were they working? There's laws governing the hours they can do and the majority of airlines have their pilots flying as close to the limit as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

jus watchin the docu now, interesting about the deals made with the minor airports& the cabin crew are mostly agency staff so they dont have full employment rights,... what do u all think of the program?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Its a terrible level of journalism from the BBC, they aren't really saying anything thats not already known. Personally I am not a big O'Leary fan but it seems like a bit of a hatchet job.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Panorama has sunk to a new low imo. Thats tabloid gutter sensationalist crap. For shame BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Well that was horrendous. All they did was state the obvious for 30 minutes, and it actually does come across bitterness from the BBC. A true waste of the licence fee...

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

i think it was fair that they had the 16yr old on sayin how he beifits from the 5pence fare's and the most he ever paid was 5pound return from leeds to dublin, i think if u know the ryanair rules u wont get screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

lol

Speaking today Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary said:

“BBC Panorama know that they have no case in this ‘Hatchet Job’ programme. We have already rubbished their false claims about hidden charges and an agreement with Airbus. It is a pity that Panorama, with all their resources, investigative journalists and the power of the BBC, were not honest enough to agree to a ‘live’ or an unedited interview with Ryanair, which would have provided Panorama’s viewers with ‘balance and facts’, instead of Panorama’s ‘false claims and fiction’.

“Ryanair will be launching another widely popular Seat Sale on midnight Monday to expose Panorama’s false claims, censorship and now sadly lies. It is a shame that the BBC waste so much licence payers money on investigating why Ryanair is Britain’s favourite airline, when all they need do is take a couple of low fare on time flights like 66 million other consumers will do this year. These clowns even wasted licence payers money flying to Dublin on high fare, frequently delayed, BMI, instead of flying with Britain’s favourite airline Ryanair”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

What a waste of time, I'm a BBC fan but there was nothing in it that was not suprising.

-1 for Panorama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Well as mentioned ,we didn't learn anything new about Ryanair from tonights programme that we didn't already know except as somebody who recently purchased a rtn ticket to Dublin ,I only realised after I had booked that I had to print out the boarding card .Not a problem for me but it will be for anybody who turns up at the check in without a print out boarding card .

What I did discover is the key to getting the cheapest flights wiyhout the extra charges ie, for £2.50 is to book online with a visa elctron card instead of a credit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

More free advertising for Ryanair. And Michael O'Leary LOVES his free advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Just watched it there, I thought O'Leary was excellent in that interview outside the Radisson.

As was said before, nothing new was highlighted in this programme but was entertaining just for that interview with O'Leary.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Serious own goal by the BBC / Panorama. They came to Dublin expecting to have some stuffed shirt avoiding their questions, but were completely outmanouvered by a witty, knowledgeable and honest O'Leary. I think to any reasonable person, his request for an unedited interview was fair enough which pretty much nullified their reason for doorstepping him. Then he just embarrassed them by pointing out that if they'd flown with Ryanair they would have saved 400 pounds, and got free Prime Time advertising for his company..

You gotta love Michael. If only we had him running the Public Service and not the unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At least BBC showed it, had SKY or indeed RTE made a programme like that it would have been 'accidently' deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Watched the program. Did not learn anything new. We all know what we are getting into with ryanair but the way I see it is we have choices. We can choose to fly with the or choose not to.

I dont think anyone cares what the staff are paid or what they get. We all simply want to travel to spain for a euro

Well dont michael, another pr stunt well handled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Sorry

What a worthless program. They must be running out of material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Overall I thought the programme was rubbish, it didn't tell us anything we didn't know already about Ryanair. If anything it just generated more free publicity for Ryanair. I've flown with them a few times and have never had any problems with them. A friend of mine uses them every 2nd wkend to go to football matches in the UK, if the flights weren't so cheap he wouldn't be buying a season ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Parakeets

It seems to me that Panorama just got lazy and depended on others to do the work for them. Their main journalist could have past for being asleep during most of the show.
    However we should do everything to avoid Ryanair becoming a monopoly in this country as it will only serve Ryanair and nobody else. This point was well made throughout the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Watched this myself after reading through the correspondence on the Ryanair website.

I'd be a fan of Panorama and watch it regularly, but this was possibly one of its worst ever programmes, if not the worst ever.

It was a total waste of time and I'm not even sure a poor journalism student at uni would do this...really scraping the barrel.

As long as you know what the deal is when you're booking with Ryanair and there are no technical faults, other delays, or bad weather causing delays on the day you're flying, and you fly the way they want you to so you get the best deal (ie with no checked-in bags) you have absolutely nothing to lose.

I used them twice recently, one weekend after another. I got from Dublin - Gatwick for €15 and Bristol - Dublin for £15. Just carry-on luggage, flight on time, no problems.

Probably no-one actually enjoys flying Ryanair. But for that price you'll sit on the plane for an hour, grin and bear it and think of the money that you're saving that you can then spend elsewhere.

Having said that, I'd think twice before flying anywhere with them that's over an hour's flight away unless there was no alternative. But that's my choice and there's no doubt a price to pay for a little bit more comfort and peace of mind on Aer Lingus or another airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The whole programme smacked of desperation and revealed nothing new. There were weak attempts to balance the programme but overall it came across as trying too hard to catch Ryanair out.
    The guy did make one good point though about complaining passengers. He said those who have used other airlines and then switch over to Ryanair have no right to be complaining. They can't have their cake and eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Aidric wrote: »
    The guy did make one good point though about complaining passengers. He said those who have used other airlines and then switch over to Ryanair have no right to be complaining. They can't have their cake and eat it.

Too through. I never got that. I am not a fan of ryanair and usually pay the bit extra with aerlingus. But i know a couple of things

1. Without them we would have no cheap flights in ireland.

2. Without them i would not have flown to so many places

3. Keycamp and Europarcs who operate in europe use the campsites nearest there airports.

4, Many people have bought apts near airports they service. Granted they have been stung but these are the risks

Overall. I learned nothing new except I am sorry i never bought ryanair shares instead of eircom shares :eek:

Advertisement