Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panorama 12 Oct 2009 - Why Hate Ryanair?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

I think Ryanair came out looking very well out of this, they were probably expecting something along the lines of Channel 4's programme a few years ago but i'd say they're very pleased with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ryanair said they'd have a promotion of 100,000 free flights for each lie in the show last night. They found 11 lies so 1.1 milltion free seats available today. I particularly like number 11. :pac:
    http://www.ryanair.com/site/IE/news.php?yr=09&month=oct&story=pro-en-131009

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I just love number 11 of his rebuttal on his site! LOL
    Last night Panorama made 11 false or misleading claims as follows:

1. Panorama featured check in problems at Stansted one weekend in August with no mention of the fact that on the other 32 weekends since web check-in was introduced Ryanair has seen no problems whatsoever at Stansted or the other 150 airports Ryanair operates from.

2. Panorama quoted a “Which” magazine survey which has no basis in reality whatsoever since “Which” continue to nominate British Airways as Britain’s favourite airline despite the fact that three times more passengers prefer Ryanair.

3. Panorama claimed that Ryanair charges £5 to all passengers for web check-in but omitted that more than half of Ryanair’s passengers avoid this fee by booking Ryanair’s promotional fares (which include free web check-in).

4. Panorama interviewed a ‘website usability expert’, who claimed that ryanair.com was designed to force passengers to buy Ryanair travel insurance. Panorama hid the fact that over 96% of Ryanair passengers decline travel insurance, which clearly confirms that this ‘website usability expert’ was clueless.

5. Panorama produced a ‘Professor of Corporate Reputation’ to suggest that ‘people feel cheated’ by Ryanair – which is clearly false when over 66 million passengers this year will choose to fly Ryanair because they feel cheated by BA’s and Easyjet’s high fares.

6. Panorama claimed that Ryanair’s 25 minute turnaround was a ‘record time’. This is false since Southwest Airlines in the US operates a 15 minute turnaround.

7. A Panorama actor claimed that cabin crew would not get a contract if they didn’t meet their targets at the end of the day or year. Totally false.

8. Panorama claimed that cabin crew pay £2,000 to train and qualify as cabin crew but conveniently omitted that these payments were not paid to Ryanair.

9. Another Panorama actor claimed Ryanair had ‘no respect or dignity for pilots or cabin crew’ – this is a false claim put about by the British Airways pilots’ union. Respect and dignity in Ryanair come in the form of high pay, rapid promotion and job security – unlike at BA where pilots are facing job cuts and pay cuts.

10. Panorama falsely claimed that no food or drinks are provided to cabin crew without pointing out that each pilot and cabin crew member receives a food allowance on every flight to pay for their own food and drinks.

11. Panorama claimed that “O’Leary is a bully” – this is clearly false when the whole world knows that O’Leary is a kind and gentle, caring and thoughtful, sensitive and saintly human being widely beloved by all Ryanair’s 6,500 people and its 66m passengers.

Source: http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=oct&story=pro-en-131009

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I was hugely confused watching this.

I thought it was to be an xpose on Ryanair when it turned out to be more of an Advertising feature. Most of the negatives they were trying to pedal are some of the most widely known views of the Airline...hell they even admit them themselves.

Highlighting the fact that he arrived 20mins early in Sweden = fail!!!

They highlighted just one instance of delays even though it will and has happened to nearly every airline.

Stating that having the safety procedure printed to the back of seats as opposed to cards to "save weight" nearly had me choking on my cornflakes.

Trying to take on O'Leary, ambush style...well we saw how that played out.

The poor web design element was a real clutch at straws.If a person has trouble navigating the website then I dont believe they are fit to fly.

I could go on for a while more, they really made a balls of this one. I'm no advocate of Ryanair but it's like they thought they'd have an easy target on this outing but they barely seemed capable of putting together 30mins of film and most of that was taken up with people professing their love for the low fares airline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

mike65 wrote: »
    At least BBC showed it, had SKY or indeed RTE made a programme like that it would have been 'accidently' deleted.

True. Whatever people might say about the BBC, at least the organisation criticises other arms of itself from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

It was pure tabloid sh!te. They mentioned Ryanair bought planes after 9/11 from Boeing, almost insinuating it was immoral. Put a different slant on it and it's genius business.

As O'Leary said, Panorama had some obsessional agenda with Ryanair. I've never seen them targeting other airlines, inquiring why the fare is so high and demanding the actual breakdown of prices.

There's no such thing as bad advertising - that slogan rang very true with this program.

Advertisement