Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should our ambulance drivers be paid more than hospital consultants in Finland.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

baubl wrote: »
    Why should our ambulance drivers be paid more than hospital consultants in Finland

Where in the health service are there ambulance drivers
    These people are paramedics, trained to save lives, not just a licence to drive.
    I had the ambulance come for me, the paramedics looked after me brilliantly, one paramedics drove the ambulance while the other took care of me, reporting on my condition, plugged up to a heart moniter and oxygen, as far as i am concerned they saved my life, they are worth it,
    Also that was a saturday night at 3 o clock in the morning, they work all shifts, calling on homes at the worst time of our life, I know if I or anyone in my household get seriously ill suddenly, I can ring 999 and have top people and professional people taking care of us,I would put my life in a paramedics hands any time, as that is what they are trained to do, be it a fall or else

are you aware that paramedics do all theese things in other european countries also

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Probably because the cost of living is quite low in finland,compared to here and they arent taxed much over there.Also,ambulance drivers have a tough tough job and provide a great service

the cost of living being where its at in ireland is not a valid arguement as to why paramedics , nurses or guards should be paid to the degree they are , the cost of living is the same for a burger flipper on minum wage , a guard on 60 k per year or a judge on quater of a million per year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

irish_bob wrote: »
    the cost of living being where its at in ireland is not a valid arguement as to why paramedics , nurses or guards should be paid to the degree they are , the cost of living is the same for a burger flipper on minum wage , a guard on 60 k per year or a judge on quater of a million per year

And for all of them, it is higher than almost anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

Have you been out at 2 o clock in the mornings weekends and see what the gurads and paramedics put up with, read it or heard it on the media.
    I was out about a month ago at that time, could not beleive what i saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

are you aware that paramedics do all theese things in other european countries also

I actually know a few of paramedics, nice blokes, a bit thick, but their true intelligence comes out in the sort of situations theya are needed in, bad academics but good when helping/saving others - bit strange, hard to explain but i would be confident in their hands:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Have you been out at 2 o clock in the mornings weekends and see what the gurads and paramedics put up with, read it or heard it on the media.

You obviously don't get out much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Right, my decision to blow this country will be based on what happens to the civil service.
    My gut feeling is that these fine, patriotic people will threaten FF with striking the country back to the stoneage.
    They will then engage in a few strikes here and there.
    FF will cave in as always and put political popularity before the good of the country.
    If that happens I will sell my house for whatever I can get, bought early enough, so should make a few bob even now and watch the country sink from a far distance.
    And all I'll see will be a country that's going down the drain with everyone at each other's throats.
    And to think that a few years ago I heard a radio interview where the Irish politician said about Europe "We shouldn't have to do what they tell us, they should do what we tell them because we're so great".

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

A burger flipper doesnt save lives and treat the sick does he?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

empirix wrote: »
    I actually know a few of paramedics, nice blokes, a bit thick, but their true intelligence comes out in the sort of situations theya are needed in, bad academics but good when helping/saving others - bit strange, hard to explain but i would be confident in their hands:)

i'd say you must know the officers:D exept you said they were nice blokes. :P

most paramedics are pretty smart, the caliber of the newest members is really high. although none of us can spell correctly;)

I would also like to highlight that HSE paramedics have diplomas from UCD, advanced paramedics have higher diplomas. it takes an awful long time and hard work to become an advanced paramedic,

stop comparing any irish salary with those from abroad, we don't live there. irish paramedics have differant skills, training, conditions, and cost of living than in any other country. just like barmen, and lawyers, and IT people etc
    paramedics in bolivia probably earn less than us, and they prob have worse conditions. why not try and match our salaries.

any skilled profession deserves a decent wage whether pub sect or priv sect. don't degrade our profession because people want to make a point about the public sector.
    benchmarking gave most in the pub sect a comparable sallary during the boom ,even those who didn't need it. that was not the case with the ambulance service. we changed the service from an underskilled low paid service, to a highly skilled one. now we are low paid again.

remember when we come to scrape you up of the ground, at the lowest point in your life. that we are not drivers - we are paramedics or advanced paramedics.

• Advertisement

i repeat , are the challenges facing paramedics or guards in ireland any different to those facing paramedics or police in the uk , germany or france

Right, my decision to blow this country will be based on what happens to the civil service.
    My gut feeling is that these fine, patriotic people will threaten FF with striking the country back to the stoneage.
    They will then engage in a few strikes here and there.
    FF will cave in as always and put political popularity before the good of the country.
    If that happens I will sell my house for whatever I can get, bought early enough, so should make a few bob even now and watch the country sink from a far distance.
    And all I'll see will be a country that's going down the drain with everyone at each other's throats.
    And to think that a few years ago I heard a radio interview where the Irish politician said about Europe "We shouldn't have to do what they tell us, they should do what we tell them because we're so great".

you too pesemistic , budget day was a turning point i believe and i also believe that most people support the budget , im not sure but i have a hunch that the appetite for strikes is not the great in the public sector , from talking to people i get the impression that thier is a noisy minority plus the unions representitives who sabre rattle , i think the majority of people want to knuckle down and just get on with things , strikes are limited in thier effect providing the general public do not support them , the goverment are pretty confident that the general public will not support strikes and therefore ( even with the gutless cowen in charge ) can afford to hang tough early next year

neither does michael o leary or bono , whats your point

i repeat , are the challenges facing paramedics or guards in ireland any different to those facing paramedics or police in the uk , germany or france

yes of course they are,
    there is (often) a diferant system in europe where a paramedic works wth a doctor or a doctor and driver, we have differant skills, length of training, (even driving licences where here a paramedic must also have a c1 and d1 licence). those are some of the many many diferances, but mainly i don't speak german;)

paraletic wrote: »
    stop comparing any irish salary with those from abroad, we don't live there. irish paramedics have differant skills, training, conditions, and cost of living than in any other country. just like barmen, and lawyers, and IT people etc
    paramedics in bolivia probably earn less than us, and they prob have worse conditions. why not try and match our salaries.

any skilled profession deserves a decent wage whether pub sect or priv sect. don't degrade our profession because people want to make a point about the public sector.
    benchmarking gave most in the pub sect a comparable sallary during the boom ,even those who didn't need it. that was not the case with the ambulance service. we changed the service from an underskilled low paid service, to a highly skilled one. now we are low paid again.

remember when we come to scrape you up of the ground, at the lowest point in your life. that we are not drivers - we are paramedics or advanced paramedics.

the point is our guards and nurses dont just earn a decent wage , they earn redicolously high wages , that a nurse in ireland earns more than a doctor in germany says it all , this country has done nothing to make it standout in terms of wage levels , we have to revert back to pre property boom levels , 2004 - 2007 was pure fantasy

the point is our guards and nurses dont just earn a decent wage , they earn redicolously high wages , that a nurse in ireland earns more than a doctor in germany says it all , this country has done nothing to make it standout in terms of wage levels , we have to revert back to pre property boom levels , 2004 - 2007 was pure fantasy

i'm not denying that irish wages are high, i'm only defending my profession. there is so much wrong information about our service.

basically we are paid starting off31000-when we retire39000 (i think) but we make a shift allowance and sunday pay, so the wages were ok.

most paramedics do the job because they love it and enjoy helping people.

of all the sections in the HSE we have very little management, most of our supivisors (lead paramedics) are on the road working. (the head of the a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

you too pesemistic , budget day was a turning point i believe and i also believe that most people support the budget , im not sure but i have a hunch that the appetite for strikes is not the great in the public sector , from talking to people i get the impression that thier is a noisy minority plus the unions representitives who sabre rattle , i think the majority of people want to knuckle down and just get on with things , strikes are limited in thier effect providing the general public do not support them , the goverment are pretty confident that the general public will not support strikes and therefore ( even with the gutless cowen in charge ) can afford to hang tough early next year

Totally agree with you, but we can never know if FF (Cowen) won't panic, give in to all demands, hand out more money instead, get raided for a couple of billion more to the banks then screw the blind some more and some other people they know won't fight back. Then strike gold in Ireland, then give it away to foreign multinationals, that's what they did with the oil already.
    I really hope you're right, it's not that FF don't know the right thing to do, they just don't have the guts to do it.
    In a word, i wouldn't trust FF to open a can of beans with a pull tab that was already opened.
    That's pretty much the underlying problem here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

i'm not denying that irish wages are high, i'm only defending my profession. there is so much wrong information about our service.

basically we are paid starting off31000-when we retire39000 (i think) but we make a shift allowance and sunday pay, so the wages were ok.

most paramedics do the job because they love it and enjoy helping people.

of all the sections in the HSE we have very little management, most of our supivisors (lead paramedics) are on the road working. (the head of the a

I could see that the two paramedics that came to tend to me that night were very skilled, put me at ease when i was terrified, and made shure to turn me over to the proper care when they dispatched me at the hospital,
    Also I live beside a neighbour whose child get fits or convilsions, and I have had to call 999 many times, as the first thing that child needed was oxygen to stop damage to the brain, and they always were there prompt any hour, If they did not have the skill they have, this person would be dead 10 years ago,
    so to the Ambulance Service I say thank you.
    You are worth what you earn and more,

so to the Ambulance Service I say thank you.
    You are worth what you earn and more,

Thanks, don't forget we have to wear those awful green trousers too:D!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I dunno - I've had a few late night burgers that have saved me from sickness the next day. Sometimes a bit of soakage can be a life saver too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

neither does michael o leary or bono , whats your point

My point is that a burger flipper hardly provides a service whereas michael o leary,nurses,teachers,guards etc do.Why did u mention bono?Whats he got to do with this?
    If u provide a good service then u deserve to be compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Thanks, don't forget we have to wear those awful green trousers too:D!!

We wear blue trousers.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

There are no "Ambulance Drivers" any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I have the uppermost respect for paramedics, Nurses, Garda's and junior doctors they have a hard job to do and the abuse they take off people which we could go back to the government lowering the price of drink, like hell Why?

gcgirl wrote: »
    I have the uppermost respect for paramedics, Nurses, Garda's and junior doctors they have a hard job to do and the abuse they take off people which we could go back to the government lowering the price of drink, like hell Why?

they also reduced the cost of buying a new car, great news for any one buying the new minesterial fleet!

We wear blue trousers.;)

that must mean you are either DFB, or..... one of the pr!<@%£;s.
    ......don't get me started!!!!:D
    (actually i used to work for one of the 'unmentionables'.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

gcgirl wrote: »

well the emergency service workers like their drink too! in fact they tend to drink more to cope with the job and shift work which fecks up your bodyclock. My dad used to work as an emergency worker and met the crew of BBCs Casualty including Brenda Fricker when they were in Dublin in Mulligans pub, and both actors and Emergecny workers like their drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

jimmmy wrote: »
    There was an interesting two page feature in Saturdays Irish independent, featuring interviews with six foreigners who work or had worked in the Irish public service. They all compared wages with the public sector wages in their own European countries, and all thought Irish wages astronomically high,( eg double) in hospitals, universities and other areas of the public service. Other perks like hours worked , holidays, pensions etc were all out of line - to the taxpayers expense - in Ireland. Even I was surprised at what they had to say. Anyone else see the article / admire their honesty ?

you could just as easily say why are irish consultants paid 10 times more than consultants in finland...?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

jimmmy wrote: »
    Anyone else see the article / admire their honesty ?

Anybody who trusts the indo to report the truth needs their head examined!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

well the emergency service workers like their drink too! in fact they tend to drink more to cope with the job and shift work which fecks up your bodyclock. My dad used to work as an emergency worker and met the crew of BBCs Casualty including Brenda Fricker when they were in Dublin in Mulligans pub, and both actors and Emergecny workers like their drink!

Some even drink to try and block out the miserable lives their offspring have created for them :mad:

Advertisement