Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny people to go on strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

The severence that they are getting is simply shocking. Some of these people have been working there the majority of their lives, and even though this is a new company that has taken over the Kilkenny People, the people who are being let go deserve better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Piddling against the wind. I could be wrong but I think the People is owned by a Scottish group, who'll only see € signs. I feel sorry for them, it's a particularly though thing to go through and I hope they do manage to change the minds of their employers. If they were asking people not to buy the paper this week then I would support such an action as a gesture of solidarity to them.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

odin_ie wrote: »
    The severence that they are getting is simply shocking. Some of these people have been working there the majority of their lives, and even though this is a new company that has taken over the Kilkenny People, the people who are being let go deserve better.

This is not a new company that has taken over the Kilkenny People. The People was taken over quite some time ago by Johnston Press, who tried unsuccessfully to sell the paper a few months ago. As Johnston Press own a stable of newspapers and want to consolidate their printing in the one location, the only surprise is that the jobs in the People printing works have lasted as long as they have.

Boycotting the paper won't make any difference either. It would barely make a dent in Johnston's turnover this - or any other - week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Will this have a knock on effect of printing the Kilkenny People, Tipp Star and the Nationalist for next weeks edition??

Advertisement